What's new

Charlie Chan Collection #2 on the way (2 Viewers)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
DVD Pacific has a listing for Charlie Chan Collection #2, a 4 disc set from Fox, headed our way on October 10th! No other details, but that's really all I need to know.

Gary "fantastic news!!!!" O.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
This is great news, I can't wait for this set. I just finished watching Charlie Chan Volume 1 and Mr. Moto Volume 1 this week and I am dying to see more of these wonderful films again.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Wonderful. I assume my favorite Chan flick, CHARLIE CHAN AT THE OPERA(with the great Boris Karloff), will be part of this set.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Terrific news! They can't come fast enough to suit me. I was impressed with the featurettes on all of the CHAN and MOTO movies. Fox did well with these, and I hope the trend continues with the next sets of each.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Gary!

Matt, Chan Vol 2 will have special features. Larry, unless something changes, Opera will be on Vol 2.

Steve

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
It may have been delayed. It was listed with that release date at Amazon and Best Buy, but was taken off both sites and 2 other sites changed release date to 12/31/2025 (i.e. release date is unknown).

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
DVD Pacific now lists "unknown" for this release date. Coupled with the lack of an announcement from Fox does point to a potential delay. As noted in another thread, Fox hasn't announced a lot of classic titles recently.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yea, I was hoping beyond hope that the date would stick. But I had a feeling this would drop off DVDPacific's radar. Too bad.

Gary "I'd still expect a second volume before Christmas - if not, then I'll start getting worried" O.

M

Member 323668

Sad news. I was looking forward to the next two batches of Chan movies and maybe the second Mr. Moto box set this year.

I congratulate Fox for their classic releases like the Chan, Moto and Will Rogers box sets and hope they will be commercially successful. We don't want to see these collections getting cancelled early as they did with some TV releases.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
There will be a Moto Vol 2 and additional Chan volumes are already in the works (Barrie Maxwell reported this in one of his columns). At one time, Fox had planned on getting both Moto sets and at 3 Chan volumes out in 2006 but that appears to have gone by the wayside. Maybe Fox is retooling the additional volumes to convert them to slimcases or maybe there were simply manufacturing delays? Or maybe they're evaluating the pricing structure?

At any rate, the series are continuing. Fox just hasn't told us when yet.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
DVD empire now has volume 2 for December 15 release. They list titles to be included in the set - Charlie Chan's Secret is skipped, but it includes Charlie Chan at the Olympics. And here's the extras:

Disc 1:
CHARLIE CHAN AT THE OPERA
Fullscreen Feature (Black & White)
Charlie Chan's Lucky Director: H. Bruce Humberstone
Restoration Comparison
Trailer
English Mono
Subtitles: French & Spanish

Disc 2:
CHARLIE CHAN AT THE OLYMPICS
Layne Tom, Jr: The Adventures of Charlie Chan, Jr.
Restoration Comparison
Trailer
English Mono

Disc 3:
CHARLIE CHAN AT THE RACE TRACK
Number One Son: The Life of Keye Luke
Restoration Comparison
Trailer
English Mono

Disc 4:
CHARLIE CHAN AT THE CIRCUS
Charlie Chan At The Movies
Restoration Comparison
Trailer
English Mono

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Gregory! I wondered what happened to the alleged 10/10 release and now I know it was pushed back.

Secret will appear on Vol 3. It was not included here because it does not have Keye Luke nor was it directed by Lucky Humberstone. This collection spotlights their work (Luke is in all 4 films and Humberstone directed 3 of them).

All films say "trailer". I know one for CIRCUS still exists but haven't seen any for the other films. I'd be curious to see if Fox is putting the CIRCUS trailer on all discs or if they unearthed some of the others.

I'm also curious as to what the "AT THE MOVIES" feature is about.

EDIT: I looked at a calendar and December 15 is a Friday. Maybe this date isn't quite set in stone?

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Today's DavisDVD.com news (http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html) contains an item stating that Fox has announced Chan Vol 2 for 12/15. The titles and details match up with Gregory's post, but the date still doesn't make sense given that it is a Friday. Gary OS has pointed out that perhaps the real date is 12/05.

Steve

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Hmmm. I think I will have to ask again about this since the PR contact I have at Fox had no knowledge about future release dates a couple weeks ago.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Amazon US, Deep Discount DVD, bestbuy.com and maybe some others have this for pre-order at the 12/15 (Friday) date. Amazon Canada has a pre-order with the 12/5 (Tuesday) date. From the Davis DVD blurb, it looks like Fox's own materials caused this confusion.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Looks like DVDTimes is still being anal about hot linking directly to "their" images. Nice artwork though - Hope that the second (and final) Moto set gets a year end release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks