What's new

Charlie Chan being released (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Your post brings up a really good point, and one that may hurt Fox's sales more than anything.

Because Fox chose to sit on these films rather than release them when the iron was hot in 2002, numerous alternate sources for these films took advantage and have sold tons of high quality bootleg Chans.

With the upcoming legal releases one would think Fox would have asserted their ownership rights. Doesn't look like it. Just type in "Charlie Chan" on Amazon and the first thing that displays is a bootleg DVD collection. Given that Amazon is supposed to be a "legit" e-tailer, how many people will click on this thinking it's the real deal?

I probably can't even discuss what a Google search will turn up without violating forum rules.

In one sense, the strong underground sales probably helped get these out commercially quicker because it showed there was demand out there, but wouldn't it make sense for Fox to "eliminate the competition" and do a better job of letting buyers know that something better was coming?

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I hope they sell well. I talked to a Fox person and the success of this set will determine if the Mr. Moto series gets out. I would think if they do near what the MPI Sherlock Holmes series has done, we will have the Moto's and the rest of the Chans.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
How come when I look on Amazon, the only DVD's I see arethe bootleg and the MGM Chanthology set? Where is this on Amazon? Can anyone help?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Of course I'm gonna buy it, even though I have all the films in fairly high quality. But the price tag is really way out there, and I too think it's gonna terribly hurt the overall sale of this great series. Geesh, I hope Fox isn't submarining this.

Gary "man, I can't get over how much that set is retailing for" O.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I've boycotted Fox releases the past year and it looks like that's going to continue with this set. If they're going to charge higher than what Warner prices then they need to deliver the goods. If they're going to go a Universal route then they need to charge Universal prices. Universal sold better than expected on their A&C sets. Just think what sales would have been like had 4 films been $60 instead of 8 films for $20.

If you look across various message boards, it appears many "newbies" are going an alternate route due to the price of this set, which is somewhat of a shame because this will lead to "less than good" sales, which might hurt future releases.

I really, really, really want to support Fox on these releases but they're going to have to earn my money and not just expect me to be a bleeding heart. They own so many great classics not on DVD that I kept asking for box sets but not at these prices. :) Oh well, there's always FMC.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'll be a bleeding heart because I want these films and if I have to spend a little more I'll just have to do it. It's better than not getting the entire series out at all due to "non interest", which is all Fox is going to conclude from lack of sales. Besides, there must be some stores that will have it cheaper. Think about how much cash we've saved on other film series', and then it all hurts less by purchasing the Chans.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The DavisDVD.com blurb about the new Fox titles referenced an "announcement". Has Fox issued a press release about the Chan Volume 1 that contains any info? It seems like all we know so far is by word of mouth and e-tailer listings.

The BITS cited the 6/6 release date that Creepy Classics originally reported. I assume this will be updated to reflect 6/20 which other e-tailers are showing.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD Times on Charlie Chan Collection Vol.1:

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Charlie Chan Collection Volume 1 for 20th June 2006 priced at $59.98 SRP. This four-disc set includes four Charlie Chan films from the Fox era, with Charlie Chan In London (1934), Charlie Chan In Paris (1935), Charlie Chan In Egypt (1935) and Charlie Chan in Shanghai (1935) all presented in their original Full Frame aspect ratio with English Stereo sound. Bonus features include:

The Legacy of Charlie Chan Featurette (15mins)
In Search of Charlie Chan Featurette (20mins)
The Real Charlie Chan Featurette (20mins)
Eran Trece Fullscreen Feature (79mins)
Charlie Chan In London Theatrical Trailer
Eran Trece Theatrical Trailer

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I still don't like the pricing, but not enough to prevent me from buying this boxset. I try to stay away from "cut my nose off to spite my face" scenarios so I'll be buying and enjoying this boxset in June. Also, I'm glad they're including some bonus material, but it would be nice in future sets that they have some audio commentary on some of the features.

Crawdaddy

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone here comment on the quality of the restored versions shown on the Fox Channel before the series was pulled? The pricing seems to have been made along the lines of the MPI SHERLOCK HOLMES releases, which were horribly expensive, but at leasted had really excellent transfers for the most part.

And to follow on from a pervious comment, why isn't Fox suing all those bootleggers out there spoiiling this release?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Hmmm...about a search for the lost films?

All in all, very nice extras.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Has any box/cover art been released yet? Also, any word if Fox will include any paper extras (stills/lobby card repros) with these as they have with other recent "Cinema Classics" releases?

Thanks in advance.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Hi John,

Yes they do (at least for part of the world). From the recent HTF chat:

By the way, your greenbrier blog is excellent.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Artwork is available at DVDTimes. It's very nice looking and I really like it. Kudos to the design department at Fox.

It looks like regular size cases (not slim line) will be used. Perhaps Fox will provide shots of those soon so we can see if the original one sheet poster art is used.

At least we don't have to worry if we're getting an anamorphic disc or not :D

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks