What's new

Charlie Chan being released (1 Viewer)

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Hope this is not old news,just announced over at Creepy Classics:

The beginning of a series of sets has been announced by Fox. The first set - CHARLIE CHAN - VOLUME ONE will arrive on June 6th, or before. The first volume will include: CHARLIE CHAN IN LONDON (1934), CHARLIRE CHAN IN PARIS (1935), CHARLIE CHAN IN EGYPT (1935) and CHARLIE CHAN IN SHANGHAI (1935).

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I already own every (non-lost) Chan film but will gladly rebuy them from Fox. :emoji_thumbsup:

Can't wait for Mr. Moto.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
This is going to be great. I've only seen a couple of the Chan films, so they'll all be a new experience for me.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just went to Creepy Classics and noticed that the retail price is $59.95. Um, there had better be a lot of extras or I'll take back what I said earlier. And by extras I don't mean "warnings" about the non-PC stuff.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I've been advised (on background) of one of the extras that will be included on this set and if that is any indication, Fox will have a very nice package for fans. I'm assuming they'll use original poster art as they have been doing recently and perhaps even include some lobby card reproductions (my speculation, nothing I've heard officially).

MSRP may be $60 but one should be able to pick this up for $40 with pre-order discounts.

The original plan was to release all 22 films over an 18 month period so we shouldn't have to wait too long for Volume 2.

Ditto on the Motos. In some respects those are even more eagerly anticipated because all but one of the restorations Fox did to these titles have never been seen by the general public. The copies circulating among collectors are quite ragged.

Thanks to Fox for finally releasing these.

Steve

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Even with the discounted pricing, it is still a little pricey by $10.00 or so for only four films that run less than 80 minutes each. I'll still buy the box set, but I'm afraid the purchase price might hurt sales, particularly impulse sales by consumers just browsing store shelves, thus affecting future releases from that series of films.

Crawdaddy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'm also disappointed in the high price tag for this set but I'll wait and see what the extras are before making a decision on buying it.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Assuming the Creepy Classics website has the right price listed, it is a bit higher than what Fox is charging for other upcoming titles on a per unit basis...for example

Laurel & Hardy Giftset $34.99 for 3 films ($11.66 each)
Mel Brooks collection $99.99 for 8 films ($12.50 each)
Robert Altman $39.99 for 4 films ($10 each)

Pre-order discounts on the above knock the price down 30% or so.

The difference between the Altman set and the Chan set is enough to make me wonder if Creepy Classics got the price wrong (or was given bad information). I am willing to pay this price because I want these films, but I can very easily see where more casual fans would be put off by the pricing.

Steve

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The casual fan/blind buyers are the ones I'm worried about. I believe the first four films in the series are all under 65 minutes so they could have easily put two titles on a disc to keep the price down for them. They also left out the first film in the series, which doesn't have Oland but it does feature Boris Karloff. Someone said Fox doesn't have a print to that film, which doesn't make sense since I've got one.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Sure, it's too bad that the price tag is higher than we'd prefer, but we should be grateful these films are finally coming to DVD at all, after the long delay and so much concern over the "Non-PC" content. I'm glad Fox decided to go ahead with the series. We used to pay, what, like $20 or more for only ONE film on a VHS way back when?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

These films run from 70 to 80 minutes each (they were still somewhat "A" pictures), but your point is well taken. I don't mind separate packaging if it gets me individual poster art plus lobby cards.

The first film is BEHIND THAT CURTAIN. It was restored and a really good print ran on FMC. Unfortunately the film is, in my opinion, not very good. I can see Fox throwing this on as an extra, but I doubt very many fans would buy this as a standalone title. Karloff's role is small; it is really a Warner Baxter picture.

Steve

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
YOUR point is well taken Steve about the classification of these early entries. I have a picture of one of them (Shanghai? Egypt?) opening at the 5,000 plus seat ROXY (the Fox flagship) in 1935. Beautiful marquee. Definitely important enough in the middle of the decade to get a class A opening.

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Creepy Classics tends to run a bit high on their pricing, it may be the case with these also. That said, I am very anxious to get these, its been too long in coming.

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator
It is my understanding the box set will also include Eran Trece, the Spanish-language and Mexican cast version of the first Oland Chan, "Charlie Chan Carries On," which is "lost."

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Since you've let the cat out of the bag Sylvia :), that was the "extra" I was referring to above. I have a copy of this film and it is quite entertaining. It helps that my copy has English captions on it which makes following the action much easier. I hope Fox has arranged for English subtitles on their version.

This will be of interest to Chan fans because some of the same sets for the missing Oland film were used for this film and it pretty much follows the original in terms of script. Additionally, some common footage was used in both films.

There isn't a lot of Chan material in the vaults that I'm aware of other than trailers, a few outtakes, and a promotional short Warner Oland made in 1935 promoting a referendum in Pennsylvania to allow movie theaters to open on Sunday so it will be interesting to see what Fox comes up with. Kay Linaker, who appeared in at least 4 Chan films, is still alive and well and perhaps could contribute a commentary. Marc Lawrence, another prolific Chan actor, died late last year. That's one guy I would love to have heard some stories from.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

They also show a different release date - June 20th.
They are selling it for $41.99 which is about $10.50 per title. Comparable to what most Fox singles sell for. Let's see what the Fox presser says.

JohnPM

Second Unit
At least they appear to be devoting a separate disc to each title, as opposed to cramming onto one disc as Universal did with the Bela Lugosi collection...

Link deleted by moderator. See HTF Rule 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks