Charley at my house Friday the 13th!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_L, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I live right where the black line first touches Florida.

Had to bring in ALL of the crap off the yard, furniture, decorations, etc. My Brother-in-law is out of town so I get to put up his storm shutters (even though a cat 1 they are really not necessary) I am not putting them up in my house - windows rated at 120 MPH and I live far from and debris.

The biggest part that will suck is when the power goes off. Imagine 100% humidity and 85F outside.

THIS IS SOOOO GOING TO SUCK!

The roads will flood, and there is noplace to go anyway.

I'll post so long as I have power + DSL if anyone is interested. I don't expect the storm to be much more than alot of wind and rain.

For now I have more preparations to make.

2. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I live in the middle Georgia area and it looks like we're getting a double dose of rain from both Charley and Bonnie. Bonnie looks to go right over us.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics...IF/112108W.gif

Charley looks to skirt a bit to our right. Hopefully we'll get some much needed rain from this, although I worry about flooding.

3. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

It's HEEEEEEEEEEERE!!!!!!!!!

4. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I am visiting my dad in Matlacha FL right now and we have a mandatory evacuation going on right now. We have secured his boats and gotten everything inside. We have got ourselves a hotel up in Arcadia for the next couple days.

If the storm surges as I high as they think it will a good part of the lower level of my dads house will be under water.

Not exactly the way that I wanted to spend my vacation.

5. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

At least your there to help him out.[​IMG]

6. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Matlacha is about 15 miles from where I am, come on over and we can watch a movie while the storm blows over!

Right now it looks to be headed towards Tampa, about 90 miles from where I am. That does not mean I'm out of the woods, as the storm surge is always worst on the southern side of a Hurricane. Right now estimates vary from 6-8 ft up to as high as 12 feet.

I live on an ocean access canal not far from the bay and my house is about 9 1/2 ft above flood level.

Hmmmm.

Luckily it is a 2 story house! (and my kids have bunkbeds!) [​IMG]

7. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    If the storm surge pushes into Tampa Bay, it's very likely the area just to my northeast will flood from the Bay filling up. I'm about 30 feet outside of the mandatory evacuation area. We're going to bringeverything inside and keep an eye on the storm track and make a final decision after the 11pm advisory.

8. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Oddly, it is sunny and warm right now, mild wind. Earlier today the coluds were moving very fast, though now they look normal...

9. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

That's not so odd. In fact, it's fairly typical of the weather about a day before a tropical storm or hurricane hits.

10. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I was in Fort Meyers beach on vacation at my timeshare.... until today[​IMG] . Charley looks as though it is heading towards Fort Meyers so they evacuated the timeshare we stay at and sent us home two days early.

Many of the places there are gearing up for the worse. Sanibel is doing mandatory evacuations and Naples has begun with voluntary evacuations.

I live in Gainesville which is located up in North central Florida and latest word here is that Charley may hit Tampa and move closer to here giving us hurricane strength winds for prolonged periods of time. I'm really concerned because of the number of tall pine trees around my house.

It seems as though Miami may be the only safe place for us Floridans right now. My family and I are talking about heading further down that way and staying more on the east coast until all of this passes. I don't know what is going to happen.

11. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    If it does hit in the Tampa Bay area, that's still bad news for the coast of Florida south of there, because the storm surge will hit the coast straight on as Charley moves farther north.

If it hits in Tampa Bay, it has to go pretty far in a northerly direction up the Florida peninsula to get to Gainsville. While that means Hogtown will get hit, it'll most likely be tropical storm-strength winds by then.

Oh yeah, let me add that the Gators suck. Go Noles!

12. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I live real close to the Chesapeake Bay and this is exactly what happened last year with Isabelle. We had some decent winds, but the damage came from the Bay filling up with nowhere to empty into....

Our marina just looked like a bunch of boats floating in the water. No docks or pilings (normally 5 ft above high tide). The Main Street historic district was filled with people in kayaks...

http://www.eastportyc.org/images/pos...600/marina.JPG

http://www.eastportyc.org/gallery/isabelpicsannap.html

Accuweather Update: Aug12, 9:33pm EST:

Storm track shifted slightly East due to newer model data. Charlie expected to pass very close to Tampa at 8pm EST Friday night. Current winds 105kts gusting to 125kts.

Miami is looking real good for you folks. Be safe !!!!

13. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I am not terribly concerned. But, hey, I get to leave work tomorrow at noon, so that's cool.[​IMG]

EDIT- it is turning eastward more quickly. Maybe I should be worried.[​IMG] But, what would the point of that be? Won't change the outcome. "Let it be, what it is" I like to say.
    [​IMG]

14. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    That map is from the 5pm advisory. We need the new storm track update.

Also, let me correct what I said about Gainsville. According to the track, much of the storm will still be over the Gulf as it travels northeast, so it will not lose as much strength.

15. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle

I'm not sure what the most current info is but last I heard they are predicting heavy storms and high winds for us in Gainesville. I can't get a straight answer as to how high a winds but it seems to vary from 65-100 MPH winds. I think my house will be ok, the biggest concern is the trees around here potentially doing damage as well as a power blackout. Here's to hoping everyone here on the HTF in the path of this storm fares well.

16. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I have 5 large oak trees in my yard, so I know how you feel.

17. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Joe you should be thanking us for the gift last year.Now you have to deal with a REAL confrence with Miami in it.[​IMG]

18. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Well it look slike the storm is going to graze my home, but the storm suge is going right up my canal. Up to ten feet.

My foundation is built up about 9 1/2 feet. This promises to be interesting.

I was woken at 3AM today by a pretty strong storm. Sounded like someone spraying a garden hoze on the window. Right now it is calm again. Actually a fairly pleasant morning.

It looks like it may be a category 3 storm. That is real bad news. A Cat 2 is full of sound and fury, but a cat 3 starts opening the gates of hell...

If there is a way to post pics I will if someone posts directions or links of how to...

19. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

The 8am Accuweather track shows a little more east, right across Tampa Bay.....

Looks like the stationary front that is steering these storms is starting to creep eastward a bit. While that won't help our FLA brethren, it should ease things up on our Mid-Atlantic folks. The Low that was Bonnie is almost on the NC barrier islands, which is more eastward than originally predicted.

20. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Here's the 8am EDT from weather.com- That's a more southerly track than yesterday, which was a more northerly forecast than the day before. That cold front may push the eye track eastward right over Orlando.

My personal forecast- 55mph winds at my house, near UCF. Subject to change if the northeast wall pushes eastward a bit more.[​IMG]

I'm ready- the portable DVD player is charged.[​IMG]

Todd