What's new

Charles Siebert of Trapper John, M.D. is gone... (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Just heard it that Charles Siebert, who was Dr. Stanley Riverside II on CBS' hit Sunday medical series Trapper John, M.D. from 1979-86, has passed on at 84.

Also, billing credits...

charlessiebertdrriversidetrapperjohn1.jpg

charlessiebertdrriversidetrapperjohn2.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Oh, such sad news. He was such a stalwart as a guest star on so many shows and always gave an interesting and involving performance. Deep thoughts to his friends and family.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Also on One Day at a Time as Ann's boss. Interesting the way they did that role. The firm's name was Connors and Davenport. We first saw John Hillerman in the role of Connors in 1976-77. When Hillerman left to do The Betty White Show they brought in Charles Siebert to play the previously unseen Davenport. Then Siebert left in 1979 to do Trapper John, M.D. so they brought back Hillerman to play Connors again. When Hillerman left in 1980 to do Magnum, P.I. and with Trapper John renewed, instead of bringing a new boss in, they had Ann quit her job! I was surprised to see that both Hillerman and Siebert appeared only a total of six times each.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Also on One Day at a Time as Ann's boss. Interesting the way they did that role. The firm's name was Connors and Davenport. We first saw John Hillerman in the role of Connors in 1976-77. When Hillerman left to do The Betty White Show they brought in Charles Siebert to play the previously unseen Davenport. Then Siebert left in 1979 to do Trapper John, M.D. so they brought back Hillerman to play Connors again. When Hillerman left in 1980 to do Magnum, P.I. and with Trapper John renewed, instead of bringing a new boss in, they had Ann quit her job! I was surprised to see that both Hillerman and Siebert appeared only a total of six times each.

That is weird that the producers/showrunners of One Day would go back and forth on the roles of the bosses of Ann's job (BTW, what kind of job/business was it?).

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
According to nostalgiacentral.com (hard to remember the details after 40 years),

"When the show began, Ann was working for the Connors and Davenport Advertising Agency, then later founded the Romano and Handris Ad Agency with Nick Handris (Ron Rifkin). When the business folded, Ann and her former co-worker (and rival) at Connors and Davenport, Francine Webster (Shelley Fabares), pooled their resources and opened the Romano and Webster Ad Agency."

Coincidentally (or not), Ann’s mother, Katherine was played by veteran actor Nanette Fabray (and Shelley Fabares' aunt) eventually becoming a series regular, appearing in almost every episode.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
That’s too bad. I always enjoyed Mr. Siebert on Trapper John. He had the kind of role that could easily become one-note and caricature in the wrong hands. Instead, his character was often arrogant and frustrating but still likable.

Prior to that series, I think the Norman Lear folks really liked him and were hoping to eventually find a permanent place for him, as they used him in guest roles for several of their shows. Besides his occasional work on One Day at a Time, he appeared in a Good Times episode as the quirky banker the family met with regarding a home loan, and on Maude as Carol’s ex-husband. He showed up on Mary Hartman and also made 3 appearances on All in the Family (3 different roles), including as a rabbi in the classic episode where Archie gives the eulogy for his best friend Stretch Cunningham.

He was also great on game shows, including Super Password and the various incarnations of Pyramid.

RIP, Charles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks