Charles Mingus Essential

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Witko, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Mike Witko

Mike Witko Stunt Coordinator

Ok just a quick question here. I really want to start getting into Charles Mingus. What is the first Album that I should buy? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

"MINGUS AH UM"

-This will probably be all you'll need for now.

Reg

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

(Mike, please note that I'm a huge, huge Mingus fan, so I'm not being objective here.)

Ah Um is a good place to start, but keep in mind that his catalogue is so varied that there really is no one album that "sums it up." Ah Um gives you a taste of what Mingus is about, but a lot of the pieces and ideas presented on that album are explored further and are much more musically rewarding on albums he recorded before and since.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have not been exposed to a lot of Charles Mingus (yet), but I love Mingus Ah-Um. The remastered CD is good, but the SACD is great! [​IMG]

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I second the Super Audio version - superb performance and sonics.
    Mingus is great, I am looking at other albums by him as well.
    [​IMG]

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

All you Mingus newbies, get on those purchases! I'll be expecting reports of your listening experiences, of course.[​IMG]
    If any of you are seriously looking into exploring the world of Mingus, I feel that the music sounds even better once you know a little about his life and personality. He was quite a character and put a lot of himself into the music.
    NP: Adrian Belew, Twang Bar King, CD

7. Ian Lascell

Ian Lascell Agent

I've always felt Mingus at Antibes was a good one to get started with. Several years ago, my brother was visiting and listened to my Antibes disc. I didn't pick it out for him or talk to him about it at all. I know he had never heard Mingus before and did not listen to much jazz. The next time I was at his place, I noticed he had added Antibes to his collection. But Mike is right, his albums can be very different style-wise. My personal favorite is Oh Yeah. I would recommend this one if you are interested in his bluesier side. Mingus Ah Um is also a good recommendation because it contains several of his more popular songs. But Mike makes a good point that many of the songs on Ah Um can be found elsewhere in more interesting variations. Although I've been listening to Mingus for about six years, I'm still discovering some of his albums with the help of Mike and others here and elsewhere. Enjoy whatever you choose first and take your time, because there is plenty out there when you are ready to try something new from him.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

9. Ian Lascell

Ian Lascell Agent

Mike W, have you had a chance to pick up a title yet? I'm just curious to hear what you chose and what your thoughts are about it.

10. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

I've got "Ah Um" and "Tijuana Moods", and have really enjoyed them, especially "Ah Um". I've just ordered "Pithecanthropus Erectus" and "Passions of A Man: The Complete Atlantic Recordings", so I'm jumping in with both feet!

All Music Guide said about the Atlantic set: "For fans who have yet to purchase CD copies of The Clown, Mingus at Antibes, or Oh Yeah, it's an essential purchase, but those who already own those discs might find too much repetition and not enough bonuses to make it worthwhile."

Since I didn't have any of those, I thought the Atlantic set was a good idea - got it for something like $6/disc, and I got 4 more free albums to boot with the special at Columbia House this month.

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Allen, Pithecranthropus Erectus is an Atlantic title, so you may see that music on the box set.

His Atlantic stuff was some of his best work, including one of my favorites, Blues & Roots. IIRC, the box set also has a long interview with Mingus.

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I don't have much Mingus but one that I like a lot is is "Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus".

Mike how do you like those Belew records? "Lone Rhino" is definitely the best of the three. "Desire" is not bad either. It's interesting to hear:some of the music from tha album "Here" in it's original form.

13. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Uh... Mike Witko from Longmont Co... come over and listen to the SACD and see what you think.

14. Mike Witko

Mike Witko Stunt Coordinator

I will have to do that. I am very interested in Ah-Uhm I have listened to it a couple of times at the record store. I just have not yet made the purchase. Just need to find some quiet time in life to listen to some music. Thanks for the recommendations everyone I now feel like I have a good understanding of where to start.