What's new

Charcoal or Gas Grill? (1 Viewer)

Dan_N

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Nelson
Ray Chuang said:
rapidly, sealing the juices of th meat) and 2) you have the startup speed and cleanup convenience of gas grills (why wait 30 minutes to heat up a charcoal grill and deal with the ash cleanup afterwards?).
Small wonder why many steakhouses are switching to infrared grills.
30 min to start charcoal ???? My friend you are doing something very wrong:frowning:
I don’t think I have ever waited more then 10 min for charcoal to light and what clean up ? on my Weber One touch platinum all I do is move the clean out lever two times and all the old ash falls into the container, it might take all of 10 seconds. I am starting to think grilling on a Weber might be to challenging for most people.:D
Here is the simple process I use. I have a Propane tank next to my Weber. Connected to the propane tank is a $10 torch, (the kind used to sweat solder copper pipes) I fill the chimney starter with charcoal. light the torch hit the top of the charcoal with the flame for about 5 seconds then hit the bottom of the charcoal for about 10 seconds. Next I move the clean out control on the Weber two or three times to clean out the old ash. Then I head to the kitchen, make a drink, get my utensils and Therma pen grab the steaks take them out to the BBQ. Once at the BBQ I dump the roaring charcoal into the grill, spread them out with long tongs throw some raw mesquite lump on the lit charcoal ( For Flavor) place the grate on the grill wait about 4 min for the charcoal to cool off a bit. (The charcoal comes out of the chimney very hot) place the steaks on. After the steaks are done, I close the bottom and top vents to save the charcoal for the next use.
I grill at least 3 times a week and on the week ends do long cooks 12 to 24 hours on my Texas style offset BBQ pit. I have been using the same propane tank to light my charcoal and wood for over 2 years and I think the tank is still about half full. In the long run it’s a lot cheaper, easier and safer then lighter fluid and it lights the charcoal a lot faster. I don’t think I have ever waited more the 10 min for a full chimney to fully light and I mean>> (Roaring with flames shooting out the top at least a foot) most of the time I only light half a chimney and that only takes about 5 min. I picked up my propane tank from a yard sale for $5 and the torch for $3. Like I said it only takes 15 seconds of torch burn time to start the charcoal so I figure a full tank should last about 4 years. Considering that lighter fluid cost about $4 a bottle I think my way is much cheaper and better!!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Wow, that is a neat way to light up the charcoals! Any safety issues w/a torch??

BTW: did not mean to imply that the Weber Performer is a hybrid. It just uses gas to light the coals. That's all the gas is good for. Truth be told tho, I ran out of gas last season, and started using a Weber Chimney. Haven't looked back. Chimney's are great (good enough). I do like having the attached platform tho (mine is an older model that had a metal platform).

Looking forward to a dedicated smoker..... one day....

Dan

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Dan_N said:
Here is the simple process I use. I have a Propane tank next to my Weber. Connected to the propane tank is a $10 torch, (the kind used to sweat solder copper pipes) I fill the chimney starter with charcoal. light the torch hit the top of the charcoal with the flame for about 5 seconds then hit the bottom of the charcoal for about 10 seconds.
Problem is, most people who use barbecue grills don't start the charcoal by the method you described. They either put in lighter fluid (and wait about 25-30 minutes after lighting) or use a charcoal chimney (but still wait about 15 minute after lighting). I've used charcoal grills and believe me, between waiting for the charcoals to warm up, spreading the hot briquets around to prevent hot and cold spots, and cleaning up the ash afterwards, I'll save up for an infrared burner gas grill instead. :)
Small wonder why gas grills are all the rage. :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I took advantage of the Labor Day sales and finally bought a grill. This is my first grill -- I've used parks, friends, and communal grills before, but never owned one.
This was a useful thread as I cogitated on the merits of gas versus charcoal. A Weber One-Touch Gold was very tempting, but I had to go gas, with an inexpensive model from Lowes. Most important were the faster heat and built in work surfaces.
And now I've got a question. Is there any concern with leaving the tank valve turned on, when the grill is not in use? This is stored in my garage and I don't know how often I'll be grilling, but maybe once a week. I'd like to leave the tank valve open so I can ignite and cook, keeping it easy-peasy.
And a second question: Recommendations for a good grillin' cookbook? :)

DougR

Second Unit
DaveF said:
And now I've got a question. Is there any concern with leaving the tank valve turned on, when the grill is not in use? This is stored in my garage and I don't know how often I'll be grilling, but maybe once a week. I'd like to leave the tank valve open so I can ignite and cook, keeping it easy-peasy.
It doesn't take that long to reach down and turn that Gas Valve back on !
Would hate to have a slight leak at the valve or the line, and after a week........EMPTY Tank !!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
To turn the grill off, you should always close the tank valve and let the flames burn out the gas in the feeder pipe. Otherwise you will always risk a dangerous gas leak.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Charcoal or Gas Grill?
Asking this question to a roomful of serious BBQ'ers would be like waltzing into HTF and asking which is better, OAR or full screen.
And if you asked the OAR/full screen question on a BBQ forum, you'd get split answers just as in this thread.
That said, I use propane for the absolute convenience.
Jon

LewB

Screenwriter
Not only should you turn off the valve, you should think about storing the grill someplace other than your garage. Can't you just leave it outside ?

mylan

Screenwriter
I leave my valve turned on but it sits outside in a screened porch, i've never had a problem in 10 yrs. this way.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Is there any concern with leaving the tank valve turned on, when the grill is not in use?
Yes, there is. Never do it. Your owner's manual should have details.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Not really. I don't have any patio, porch, or deck to store it on. It would be an eyesore and nuisance in the front yard. And if left in the backyard, I'd never use it.
When my wife and I first got our house I did this. After a few months it ended up in the back yard. We bought a little rubber matte to place it on since we have no decking or anything. Yes, I have to walk all the way around the house to BBQ but it's easier than keeping the thing in the garage where I need room for two cars and a motorcycle. Get a good cover!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
mylan said:
I leave my valve turned on but it sits outside in a screened porch, i've never had a problem in 10 yrs. this way.
I'm sure it's possible to never have a problem, but the consequences of anything that CAN go wrong aren't even worth the risks involved.
Considering how easy it is to turn the valve off, why risk it?
It's like locking your front door. I can probably leave my front door unlocked for YEARS without anything bad happening, but why?

mylan

Screenwriter
MarkHastings said:
I'm sure it's possible to never have a problem, but the consequences of anything that CAN go wrong aren't even worth the risks involved.
Considering how easy it is to turn the valve off, why risk it?
It's like locking your front door. I can probably leave my front door unlocked for YEARS without anything bad happening, but why?
Well, I know it would be safer but the realities of the situation are that you cannot prepare for every thing that MIGHT go wrong. We all have to trust the safety measures put into place by the manufacturers ( yes, I know stupid, right?). To give you an example, everyone in this neighborhood that wants gas logs in their fireplace has to lease or buy an 85 gallon tank that sits outside. Now, can you see anyone who would want to run outside when it is below freezing and open the main valve just to be able to use their logs? I see a bunch of people saying "why bother?" The gas companies adhere to a strict code concerning placement, it cannot be less than five ft. from an opening into the house, be to close to the electrical service. If I want gas logs I am going to have to bury the tank because it sits inside a fenced in area AND is less than five ft. from a window, costing me hundreds more than it would normally, all because the gas company has had liabilty issues in the past. There have been two propane explosions around here, both ending tragically but in both cases it was the stupidity of the owner, leaving it in the basement next to a heat source in an unapproved container.
We all could just go nuts on the same token and shut off our main breaker when we leave the house or have a gas shutoff installed in our cars to prevent leaks, apparently you've hit a nerve but where does it end?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, I know it would be safer but the realities of the situation are that you cannot prepare for every thing that MIGHT go wrong.
Well, there's a difference between being 'not-so cautious' and just plain 'careless'.
I mean, maybe there's something I'm missing here, but everything I've read has said to make sure the valve is off after use. It has nothing to do with being 'over cautious'.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
You should not assume that the valves in the grill are safety-rated as shut-off valves. They do not compare to the fireplace example because of code and regulation issues involving gas inside a building.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok, so I'll keep the main valve off, as recommended. I've started turning it off to kill the flame for gas bleed off, then shutting off the grill valves.
As for the placement -- I've got a walkout basement, so backyard is around the house and 15 feet down. If it were back there, I just wouldn't use it. It would sit and rust out over the years from neglect.
Practically, I need to keep it in my garage with my lawnmower, tank of gas, and two cars with tanks of gas, various oils, and so on. I'm one match from a mean situation, but I've got to take my chances :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks