What's new

Charcoal Grills (1 Viewer)

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
There have been a bunch of grilling posts today, so I started a new thread to avoid hijacking another...

I was wondering if I am the only one left who prefers a charcoal grill over a gas grill. To me, a gas grill is nothing more than an outdoor oven. Food cooked on it tastes a little better than being cooked indoors - but not much.

I love food cooked over real charcoal (and LUMP charcoal, not those hard to light brickettes). I love to throw in some wet hickory chips too.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I do prefer the taste of a charcoal grill. However, I love the ease of my gas grill. I find I grill more often now that I have gas. Uh... you know what I mean.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I think everyone would agree that food over charcoal tastes a little better. I don't think that a gas grill is like an oven, however. There is plenty of smoke generated in there, and it does flavor the food. I put Char-broil hickory briquettes for gas grills on my flavorizer bars, and their wood smoke flavor enhances the gas experience.

I cook 3-4 times a week on the grill, and charcoal is too much of a hassle. If I were infrequently grilling, charcoal would be fine.

So, yes, charcoal is ultimate, but gas can be nearly as good, and it's a whole lot more convenient. I'll agree to disagree...

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"I love to throw in some wet hickory chips too."

You can do that in a gas BBQ too ... just not loose.

Brent L

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a firm believer in lump hardwood charcoal grilling as well, but at the same time I do see the point of view the gas grillers are coming from. During the summer I rarely fire up the grill as it takes a while for the charcoal to light. Most of the time when I come back from work or exercising, I'm hungry and want to eat ASAP. End result - I grill only every few weekends.

Still though, there's nothing cooler than hanging around a small bondfire in your grill as the coals light up & drinking some beers with friends.

Andrej

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i find the ease of a gas grill to be a great bonus.

i can control my heating zones better and cleanup is a near-snap.

although i've never worried about it, for smoke flavor, i understand you can use a smoke-box - i guess some gas grills even have them built-in.

i don't find the difference in flavor to be significant, but i haven't done charcoal in so long i wouldn't bet my paycheck on it...

Julie K

Screenwriter
I like to grill over lump charcoal. Not only does the food taste better, but the process in itself is more satisfying. There's nothing like starting a fire :D

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
...I guess I wasn't very fair judging the flavor from a gas grill. I never grill with gas because I prefer charcoal so my only exposure is at parties.
I think a gas grill could produce comparable flavor with much less effort using wood chips. I actually enjoy building the fire though :).
Greg

Jim J

Second Unit
I'm a charcoal fan from way back.

But I understand the ease of using the gas.

I got myself the weber performer. charcoal with gas ignition. I love it. The only difference is that I have to wait a bit longer to get to temperature.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I was wondering if I am the only one left who prefers a charcoal grill over a gas grill
Nope, have been and always will be a charcoal guy. Sure it takes more time to prep/cook, but it is worth it.
A gas grill is just an outdoor gas stove top.
Peace Out~:D

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I am also a charcoal guy. You really can't beat the taste and it is much easier to grill on charcoal and get an even cook. I do own both a charcoal (Weber) grill and a gas grill but it is as simple as I use the charcoal in the summer and gas in the winter.

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Mmmmm... bbq... it's all good!
I have a natural gas grill on the patio hooked directly into the house. It's always ready to go and I don't have to worry about filling the gas bottles. It is so convenient that I cook out year round. I can just imagine what the neighbors think when they smell bbq smoke driving over the snow-covered landscape. :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Gas is so much easier to use. IMO the ease of use trumps the slightly better taste of charcoal by a large margin. Throw in the cleanup pain in the ass of charcoal and the fire risk which is MUCH less on gas and you see why I like gas. With good "broken in" lavarocks or other methods you can get yum yum taste from gas easily.

But charcoal definitely tastes better.

I hae a friend who's got a gas and a big charcoal kettle grill both on his deck.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Can we get a survey and draw a correlation between those that prefer charcoal over gas with those who prefer LD sountracks over DVD and vinyl over CD?

There's nothing like starting a fire
I agree, I do it with a knob and a push button. I can add wood chips and many other things to add smoke, enhance flavor, etc. I'll put my steaks up angainst anyone here with a non-biased 3rd party taste testor as long they are just told is to pick the steak that tastes better.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Charcoal man here, but I'm going to get a gas grill. I'll keep my Weber kettle for when I have time, but I think I would use a gas grill multiple times a week.
If I had my preference and the time, I'd be 100% charcoal. Alas, I'd rather be spending my time else where - watching DVDs perhaps... :)

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
Can we get a survey and draw a correlation between those that prefer charcoal over gas with those who prefer LD sountracks over DVD and vinyl over CD?
Actually I was thinking it is probably closer to people who don't mind giving up convenience to push performance. For example, I drive a manual transmission car but auto is much more convenient. I often HAND wash dishes too (GASP). I wash and wax my car.

Greg

[ edit: I messed up quoting ]

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I'm just kidding anyway, trying to stir the shit. My steaks do taste mighty good though. You get a lot of practice cooking beef when you slaughter your own and have 800 pounds of beef show up at your house every year.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Gas only since I started using it. My food always smelled/tasted like lighter fluid with charcaol. I click...cook..eat..what's not to like!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gk7193
Recent bookmarks