What's new

Charade - Madacy Entertainment edition problems (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Ah, another Madacy sucker... ;)

Yes, Madacy is a company not exactly renowned for quality on any level. Buyer beware. And welcome to the board! :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, I'd have more sympathy for you if Madacy's version was the only game in town, but there's both the Criterion and the Universal versions. You can have the Universal version for less than the Madacy trash! It's $8.99 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

I'd hate to have the remake, but that's tempting. Right now, I only have the Criterion nonanamorphic version. Of course, I suspect the Criterion anamorphic edition is the best.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
I would avoid any versions other than the Criterions or Universal.

A few years ago I bought the Laserlight version for ~6 bucks and while it is't awful, it ain't pretty either. Actually, I got another version of Charade as part of a double feature with Penny Serenade at my local dollar store and the transfer was about as good (bad) as the Laserlight version.

And you have my sympathy. :)

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
Yeah, the Universal version seems a little murky, but you can't beat the price. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend.

I think it's just the non-anamorphic Criterion version that's OOP, but I'm not sure.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If you're willing to order online, that link to DDD that Mark posted has a very nice price.

BTW, I was kidding about not having sympathy. I sometimes forget that just because I was interested in Charade a few years back and read up on the different versions, not everyone knows exactly what's available.

Guido Bibra

Stunt Coordinator
The anamorphic Criterion rerelease actually has the same transfer as the Universal version on "The Truth about Charlie", but encoded at a much higher bitrate. I haven't seen the original Criterion disc, but the newer transfer looks very fine to me. The commentary track by Stanley Donen and Peter Stone is worth the price of the Criterion alone!

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I looked at the Criterion non-16x9/16x9 comparison (thanks for the link) and I'm happy with my oop non-16x9. Great movie. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Ooh. I got the Criterion out of the library years ago and liked the movie... then it went OOP before I had the chance to buy it. But at that price, how can I pass it up?

Edit: I do have another question. How did the film end up having so many cheap reissues (looking at the listing on DVD Aficionado), if it's been owned by Universal all these years? Was it in the public domain at one point?

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

As a general rule, when a public-domain DVD company (with the exception of Image and maybe a couple others) says they've remastered a movie, that usually translates to, "We found an old 35mm copy in the closet and mastered it from that instead of just slapping our old VHS edition onto disc."

The gods alone know what these companies mean when they say they've restored a film, because they're using a definition not found in my dictionary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks