What's new

Charade: Criterion out of print only to sell "The Truth about Charlie?" (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i dont know what those specs are for.
i just watched the new charade. it is anamorphic and looks great.charade on one side ...truth on the other.
there are no extras. so maybe thats what chris is referring to.
but the CC charade did not have a restoration doc on it.

well worth getting just for charade.

truth about charley is an exttra feature.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Someone needs to make a new DVD cover for this. You know, a "'Charade' with free bonus DVD -'The Truth About Charlie'". :D

-Dave

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I second that. If a nice-looking cover like that was made I would consider buying this release! I really want an anamorphic Charade! However, seeing the preview for Truth About Charlie again and again made me sick. Especially that "Maybe I will have that ciggy" line.........

Ehhhhhh....

But myabe I should just hunker down and purchase it for Charade and be pleasantly surprised watching The Truth About Charlie as a bonus feature!

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I did pull the trigger on this and Charade is beautiful. Great anamorphic transfer :emoji_thumbsup: . However, The Truth About Charlie was pitiful :thumbsdown: (not the transfer but the movie itself). If anyone finds any cover art for Charade with bonus dvd of The Truth About Charlie, please post it.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I just got this DVD and saw “The Truth About Charlie” for the first time. My eyes, my eyes! This movie is a perfect example of a travesty and of a needless remake. :thumbsdown: Oh why, oh why on earth they thought that they have to remake the original? It adds nothing new or refreshing. And no actors can replace Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant. If it was a remake with better and new digital special effects or an outlandish different directing style of a FX based movie, I would understand, but not this. So remember to absolutely buy this DVD!!!! because it contains the original in anamorphic widescreen. They knew that if they didn’t put the original on this DVD, no one would buy this new mess!

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
Help out a little here. Just saw Charade (couldn't stomach my way through Truth About Charlie).

Amazon lists two cheap versions of Charade; one by Madacy and one by Vci/Ffi. I assume the Criterion is a third. Both of the others are Widescreen. Anybody seen them. Are they ok?

Brendon

Second Unit
Bob,

I can't speak for the Madacy issue of Charade. The Criterion issue, albiet non-anamorphic, looks great & sounds great.

The commentary from director Stanley Donen & writer Peter Stone is one of the best I've heard. They play off each other very well, question each others memories and powers of recollection and occassionally impart a fact to do with the film. I honestly believe that if the Criterion transfer truly sucked (it doesn't) it would still be worth picking up the disc for the commentary.

Buy the Criterion version without reservation!

Bren

PS I don't work for Criterion. :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have the Criterion and it's wonderful.

I do not have the Madacy, however, I can tell you, with 100% certainty that it sucks and you should avoid it at all costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks