Charade Criterion is now OOP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Robertson, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

May 19, 2001
    See for yourself, just below the cover art:
    I would presume Universal has taken this back for its own edition, due to the new remake coming up.
    With this and Dead Ringers, it seems no catalogue title is safe!
    It should be mentioned, despite a not huge list of special features and a non-anamorphic transfer (though that's the only thing that could be said against it - it's absolutely gorgeous), it has one of the best and most entertaining commentary tracks you'll ever hear, which will almost certainly not be on the inevitable re-release, due to Criterion keeping their own special edition content under lock and key.
    [Edited last by Jon Robertson on October 17, 2001 at 03:26 PM]
  2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

May 9, 2001
    I'm glad I picked this one up. I need to find another copy for my mother before they're gone, though, as it's one of her favorites.
    For those holding out, it's an excellent transfer. I doubt if the movie's ever looked better. The only flaw I could see is some ringing in a few scenes. At least, I think it's ringing. As an example, during the overhead shot at the funeral, there are some metal candleholders (if memory serves) that seem to have a ghost image along their edge. Maybe it's edge enhancement.
    BTW, that orange scene is pretty shocking, considering the year this movie came out. Wow. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Greg_S_H on October 17, 2001 at 03:20 PM]
  3. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Dec 23, 1999
  4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Oct 2, 1998
    I thought this film was now public domain? There is at least one, maybe two, cheap dvds of this film. I doubt either are licensed by Universal.
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV