Character Actor Extraordinaire (Vol. 1): Kurtwood Smith!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Most people probably know this actor as irritable father Red Forman from "That 70's Show", but I just got done watching Robocop (for the 7th time) and Smith is absolutely perfect in this flick. His ridiculously evil Clarence Boddicker is so profane, so smug and so entertaining...it oughtta be illegal. (Quick praise for Robocop: It's a fucking classic.)
    Probably because he does it so damn well, Smith has mainly played bad guys, but you'll all remember him from stuff like:
    Robocop - "Just give me my fuckin' phone call!"
    Dead Poet's Society - Callous evil father.
    The Crush - Pompous clueless father.
    Fortress - Joyously insane prison warden.
    Quick Change - "Nobody does this to Mrs. Russ Crane!"
    And like any great character actor, he's been in tons of other flicks:
    Prefontaine
    True Believer
    Broken Arrow
    Deep Impact
    To Die For
    Last of the Dogmen
    Girl, Interrupted
    Flashpoint
    A Time to Kill
    Citizen Ruth
    Rambo 3
    Shadows and Fog
    Going Berserk
    Under Seige 2
    Star Trek 6
    Boxing Helena
    A Bright Shining Lie
    Oscar
    Now imagine this gruff, stern, bald guy playing an effete dance choreographer! Yep, in Staying Alive! [​IMG]
    Anyway, I've always been a huge fan of character actors, and Kurtwood Smith ranks among my favorites. It's great to see him getting lots of attention for his entertaining role on a clever sitcom, but I hope that schedule won't prevent him from adding more titles to his impressive filmography.

2. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey Stunt Coordinator

By co-incidence, my wife and I are currently working our way through the third season of the X Files, and last night we got to "Grotesque" (IIRC) anyway regardless of the episode title, as soon as I saw KS enter a scene I said outloud "Kurtwood Smith - excellent!"

He's like Wayne Knight - another excellent character actor in that he brings a sense of realism to whatever he does. He's superb in Robocop and managed to make something out of his roll in ST VI.

Is it his voice in Starship Troopers? - eg Would You Like To Know More?

3. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Scoot,

I agree. But his Clarence Boddicker, which is the first time I remember him, is indelibly seared into my memory. I can't look at him now without thinking:

"Take a look at my f***ing face...Dick!"

Graet actor in a great role!

Take care,

Chuck

4. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Eric: I don't know why this always happens to me. I must be cursed.

Red: No, Eric, you're a dumbass.

I just can't get over how funny Kurtwood Smith is on That 70s Show.

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yeah, he's been a great character actor for years, and I've always enjoyed his work.
    When I first saw him on "That 70's show" I was worried about him doing comedy, I honestly didn't think he'd be any good at it. My fears were unfounded, he is so good in it.
    I too hope gets time to sneak in movies here and there, however now I don't know if I can watch him without thinking of Red Forman. [​IMG]
    /Mike

6. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

The combination of Kurtwood Smith and Debra Jo Rupp make that 70's show great. Both have been long time character actors and the two together have great chemistry.

7. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Good call, Scott (FYI, I'm posting this from your hometown of "Filthy-delphia" (as Bill Cosby called it)). I thought he was understatedly creepy in Girl, Interrupted.

Rob

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Kurtwood Smith is one of my favorite character actors as well. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to see him in That 70's Show.

9. Aaron Wisner

Aaron Wisner Agent

That 70's Show is still on the air. Tuesday @ 8:00 on FOX.

10. Barry S

Barry S Stunt Coordinator

Kurtwood Smith's Clarence Boddicker is one of my favorite movie villians of all time. Right up there with Darth Vader and Hans Gruber. This guy is the embodiment of what a movie villian should be like. He's absolutely despicable. He doesn't just spout off one-liners, he's a total badass.