What's new

Chappelle's Show Season 2? (1 Viewer)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
It would be a good bet to read the article a few months ago when Dave signed the contract... As I remember, the new season is either coming out in January or some where around there, so expect it 1 month before it begins.

Ryan

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I'm remember hearing about that. I guess he signed a pretty big contract at that. Thank you for the estimated date, these next couple of months are killer on the cash!

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Its also likely Chappelle will be more hands on in making the DVD, since the success of it will tie in to his money bonus of % of sales. The first season didnt.

Cant wait!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Season 1 is now the top selling TV on DVD of all time even ahead of Simpsons season 1, so season 2 is sure to be a hit as well.

2/8/05? Works for me.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
What? What? What? What? What? What? What? What? What? What?

OoooohKaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy!

Cant wait for this one.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
This is a show that you hear people talking about to their friends or significant others as you pass them on the street. I've seriously just heard people go on and on about the show wherever I'm at. I have never seen it myself. Surpassed the Simpsons in sales?? Is it really that good/funny a show? I guess I just don't believe. What does he do on this show?

RyanAn

Screenwriter
There have been a lot of complainers who claim that the only reason that Chappelle's Show has passed the Simpsons is because it is have the SRP, which is not entirely incorrect. The Simpsons is my favorite show ever, so I can say this in an non-bias way, Chappelle's Show is a great show, and it deserves it's spot. Plenty of other $20 shows on DVD have had not had the same sucess as other, more expensive shows. Dave deserves what he gets, this show is awesome.

Ryan

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

I don't think that can even be used as an excuse for surpassing The Simpsons -- at least not season 1, which is the set in question. There have been numerous sales in which this title has been available for dirt cheap in what is likely an attempt to keep its status as the #1-selling TV DVD. Three I can think of right away:

Best Buy (Black Friday 2003): $14.99
FYE (Spring 2004): $9.99 [Any Simpsons Season Set - Lasted 1 Wk.]
Amazon.com (this month): $14.99

This is why I'm surprised that Dave has surpassed it. Most agree though that The Simpsons season 1 was not exactly the peak of the series. Once the animation and voices improve (and the number of episodes in a season increases), the SRP goes up.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Just to clarify, I read articles and posts by fans who were mad that a $20 and a $30 set were in the same category. They claimed that since it was cheaper, that more people would be inclined to buy it. The Simpsons is my favorite show of all time, and no price would keep me from picking it over Chappele's...

Ryan

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
RyanAn, what you say makes sense from one point of view. However, that's not the way real life works. As Dane pointed out very astutely, the SRP of Simpsons - S1 has nothing to do with the super-low prices that the set has been selling for. So breaking it up into categories of SRP won't necessarily help Fox reclaim the boasting rights all by itself.

However, I just posted the press release for Simpsons - S5, and in it Fox can still correctly boast that "With record-breaking retail sales in excess of six million DVD of "The Simpsons" seasonal DVD releases and single-disc themed releases, "The Simpsons" reign as the best selling TV-DVD property of all time. " Since that line of copy talks about the PROPERTY (i.e., the entire collection of box sets for all seasons, plus all single-disc releases from the show), it would indeed win. I have no idea what #2 is for the entire property, but I suspect Buffy might be it.

Hmmm...for "property", do all things "Star Trek" qualify as a single property, or is TOS and TNG and DS9, etc. all "different properties"? Probably the latter, but there could be some interesting swizeling going on with that! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks