Chaplin Rerelease in SE form?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joel Vardy, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

The excellent film 'Chaplin' with Robert Downey Jr. directed by Richard Attenborough was released initially years ago. It has a non-anmorphic transfer and mediocre extras. Any chance of a rerelease in SE form?

Joel

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Artisan is missing a good opportunity to release a special edition of this film. With Warner-MK2 releasing their Chaplin discs and David Shepard releasing the box set of 2-reelers...the 1992 film could actually be a good release right now.

Since it did poorly when originally released, any try to get the film to make a little bit more money wouldn't be bad.

3. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

The Region 2 version is anamorphic and has additional extras like more interviews with Robert Downey Jr, Diane Lane and Anthony Hopkins, and Kevin Kline. There is also a long featurette on the history of Chaplin. The picture quality is'nt great but it is better than the Region 1. If you have a player capable of Region 2 PAL playback you might wanna consider it. I still don't know why this film was such a flop? [​IMG]

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

5. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

6. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

I've actually got the Region 1 and I always thought the picture quality was fine. I'd love a special edition of this movie but unless they really take advantage of the marketing opportunity to tie in with the present Chaplin reissues I don't think its going to happen. The extras are pretty minimal compared with some worse films but if you search around there is quite a bit of interview (some of it duplicating info right enough)footage hidden in the menus.

What I'd love to see is a DVD edition offering more footage as I believe Attenborough originally made a much longer film and it was cut down. The featurettes provide tantalising glimpses of this material including a scene featuring the Tramp and the flower girl from City Lights I seem to remember. An audio commentary from Attenborough (I don't know if he would do one),a film historian or even Charlie's daughter Geraldine who plays her own grandmother would be great too. Maybe if the new Chaplin DVDs sell in sufficient numbers it might happen, one can only dream.

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thanks for bringing this up as I have never seen Chaplin before, another must buy then.

cheers

[​IMG]

8. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

Yes I own both because the Region 1 and Region 2 do not have the same extras. Being the completist that I am I got both. The region 2 is anamorphic and marginally better and has a few minor extras more. Having said that the picture quality is still not state of the art and a Special Edition would be very welcome indeed. How likely it is... I have no idea. Pray!