What's new

Channel Master 3010 antenna (1 Viewer)

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering if anybody has used this antenna, as I'm looking for a new antenna I can put in my garage.

Tan Nguyen

Agent
It's going to be tough answering your question. Channel Master makes very good antennas, perhaps ones of the bests. You will need to give us the distance between your place and the towers, also, terrain is probably flat where you are, so it's not a concern.
Have you tried www.antennaweb.org ?
I use a Channel Master 3019 (fringe), I'm about 30 miles from the towers, and I receive very good signal.
I've talked to someone who's been servicing TV since 1960, he said that it's a hit or miss deal with antenna. Sometime, a roof mount antenna doesn't work as well as a $5.00 rabbit ear antenna on certain channel. Go figure.
I would buy them locally, in case they don't work out you can return them.
My 2 cent.
Tan

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input Tan. Getting a new antenna is a little bit of an issue for me. When we moved in about 15 years ago, the previous owners had a big antenna in the garage, resting on top of the wood beams that criss cross, holding up everything I guess. Reception was never great, and is now more noticable since I got a RPTV last year.

I have tried the Antennaweb website, and it tells me I need a medium directional antenna. I have no idea how far the towers are away from me though, but based on the recommendation for the "green/medium directional" antennas, I think the Channel Master 3010 fits the bill. I'm just worried about it not working well inside a garage.

Tan Nguyen

Agent
David,

I think by putting the antenna inside a housing structure (garage), you'd lose about 20% of the signal, as in my case, comparing the signals when I have the antenna outside and inside the attic. The other determination factor is how high your antenna is. Putting it in the attic might be too low, since the signal is block by other structures in the neighborhood.

Tan

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
David,

all the references you get from antennaweb assume that your antenna has a more or less unobstructed view (meaning it's not an attic-mounted or sitting inside a garage). As soon as you bring antenna inside the walls (and closer to the ground) the signal drops off -- noticeably. I would recommend considering roof-top mount or a chimney mount or a bigger antenna if that's not an option.

My $.02

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, a roof mount or chimney mount antenna is not an option, as the house never came with one installed. I have called around, and the cost of having an outdoor antenna installed is more than I want to pay. (Anything pertaining to home theater is paid for by myself, as family refuses to chip in.) Hehe... On top of that, I don't trust myself enough to go climb on the roof, let alone worrying about grounding, etc. :) Plus, it'd be easier to just replace the antenna in the garage, as the coax cable is a long run from the living room, up through the attic, and to the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks