Channel leveling

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ammon, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

I am using an analog sound meter and am trying to level out all my speakers. I have the Denon 4802 and I am wondering if it is best to use the Avia DVD, THX Optimizer or the built in channel leveling ont he receiver? I tried them all in different orders, but they all give me different results as they don't seem to match each other on volume. What is the best way to get my speakers level?

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

go with the avia dvd. it's hands-down the best choice.

thx optimizer may work, but i think it's optimized for that specific dvd only. i'm not sure but i think that's how it goes.

the built in test tones don't take the entire signal path into consideration. it ignores what can happen from the dvd to the receiver.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Additionally, you'll find the AVIA (or Sound&Vision HomeTheater Tune-Up disk @$16) crucial to calibrating the balance for the subwoofer with the disks' Bass/LFE output and phase tests.

As Ted notes, the Sub really comes into play with DVD movies, so these calibration/test disks (as opposed to receiver internal test tones) cover the entire low-frequency path from DVD player to AVR to speakers/Sub.

4. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

Just the response I am looking for! Thanks!