What's new

Channel leveling (1 Viewer)

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
I am using an analog sound meter and am trying to level out all my speakers. I have the Denon 4802 and I am wondering if it is best to use the Avia DVD, THX Optimizer or the built in channel leveling ont he receiver? I tried them all in different orders, but they all give me different results as they don't seem to match each other on volume. What is the best way to get my speakers level?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
go with the avia dvd. it's hands-down the best choice.

thx optimizer may work, but i think it's optimized for that specific dvd only. i'm not sure but i think that's how it goes.

the built in test tones don't take the entire signal path into consideration. it ignores what can happen from the dvd to the receiver.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Additionally, you'll find the AVIA (or Sound&Vision HomeTheater Tune-Up disk @$16) crucial to calibrating the balance for the subwoofer with the disks' Bass/LFE output and phase tests.

As Ted notes, the Sub really comes into play with DVD movies, so these calibration/test disks (as opposed to receiver internal test tones) cover the entire low-frequency path from DVD player to AVR to speakers/Sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks