Changing Mac OS X icons

Discussion in 'Apple' started by MarkHastings, Oct 1, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Has anyone run into this? I have been playing around with custom icons that I've downloaded off the internet. Yesterday I was copying and pasting different icons onto my applications with ease, but today, I'm having trouble changing some of those icons. Example, I changed Illustrator and Photoshops icon yesterday...I easily changed Illustrators icon today, but when I change Photoshops, it won't let me.

I can delete the custom icon and revert it back to the original Adobe Photoshop icon, but whenever I try to paste a new icon there, it pastes the one I pasted from yesterday. [​IMG]

On another topic, does anyone know of another icon program that will let you change the system icons (i.e. Finder, Home, Applications Folder, etc.). The only one I know of is CandyBar, but it doesn't seem to allow me to change the trash icon.

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

CandyBar should change the trash icon as well. Mine is changed.

I'm not sure about the Photoshop icon, it seems to do the same thing here. Now, I can only paste the ImageReady icon over and over again.

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

The only way I was able to change the icon was to make a copy of the file. Once I made the copy, I was able to delete the cutom icon and paste in a new one. It's odd.

4. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Maybe the programs in question installed themselves as read-only (or writable only by 'root', etc.).