What's new

Changing IP addresses? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Is there a way to change my IP address?

I comment often to my local newspaper, and even though very polite can be a little sarcastic and constantly get banned. Other places, including the HTF, I've been members with for many years with no problem.
I refer to their moderators as the "Granny Patrol", which was what I think finally doomed me. I've rejoined the site many times using phony gmail addresses, but doesn't work any longer.

I'm guessing because I seem to get the same IP address from Xfinity. Is there a way to change this? I'm a really decent guy, but our local paper is incredibly conservative, so I'm no longer welcome.
If the mods delete this question, I'll understand, just curious.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
You might try an IP release/renew command.

Open a command prompt, (assuming Windows, click on Start, then on the Run or Search box type 'cmd'), and type 'ipconfig /release' enter, then 'ipconfig /renew' to get a new ip. You can also use 'ipconfig /all' to see what your current ip address is and again afterwards to see if it changed.

Not 100% on if this will get you a new ip from comcast.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Having worked in IT for 25 years, can't believe I spaced out the ipconfig commands.

Comcast did give me a new ip so I'll experiment with the newspaper site and see if I can register again.

Thanks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Rather than chasing ip addresses and phony email accounts, have you considered writing in such a way as to not get constantly banned? :DI sounds like there's a serious problem with your paper if they're chasing away their most enthusastic readers and commentors. But barring that getting fixed, chasing troll accounts might not be the best solution.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Rather than chasing ip addresses and phony email accounts, have you considered writing in such a way as to not get constantly banned? :DI sounds like there's a serious problem with your paper if they're chasing away their most enthusastic readers and commentors. But barring that getting fixed, chasing troll accounts might not be the best solution.
It's only this one paper I have problems with. I've been a member here since 1999 and only had one incident which we and the mods worked out.

I make comments on several other forums or papers and have for many years, yet they're fine with me. With our local paper, now that I'm allowed back, I post as politely as possible. Friends used to call me Mary Poppins, "practically perfect in every way", so that's my new motto with this local paper.

I've never been a troll, just a bit sarcastic at times. I actually ignore trolls, other than warning other posters "Don't feed the trolls", and they eventually fade away.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Stan said:
It's only this one paper I have problems with. I've been a member here since 1999 and only had one incident which we and the mods worked out.

I make comments on several other forums or papers and have for many years, yet they're fine with me. With our local paper, now that I'm allowed back, I post as politely as possible. Friends used to call me Mary Poppins, "practically perfect in every way", so that's my new motto with this local paper.

I've never been a troll, just a bit sarcastic at times. I actually ignore trolls, other than warning other posters "Don't feed the trolls", and they eventually fade away.
I grew up Hedonist Hippie.

Trust me, I know how it goes to alarm the peasants. There are times I'll spew something matter of factly and people are like "How ddaaaaarrrrreee you?".

I wrote an op-ed(self done, not like I was asked to do it) in the local "news"paper of the area. One of the local elected officials had attended a party(county party), had a bit too much to drink and was given a ride by a police officer(who was in attendance) to a hospital to visit one of his kids that had fallen ill at home that night(sudden thing, known fever...it had spiked) and was taken by the babysitter to the hospital.

The county "busy bee" stuck their nose in and lambasted the sheriff's office and branch of government for "waste of county tax dollars".

My letter to the editor(who is the busy bee) essentially said...

"Seriously, complain about that...but ignore the real problems in the county. Way to waste your time."

I was banned...

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
If all else fails, you could sign up with a VPN provider such as PrivateInternetAccess.com I use them for a variety of reasons and have always been happy with their performance. There are others as well. Even some free ones that might work for your purposes but I haven't had any experience with those.

-Keith

Stan

Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
I grew up Hedonist Hippie.

Trust me, I know how it goes to alarm the peasants. There are times I'll spew something matter of factly and people are like "How ddaaaaarrrrreee you?".

I wrote an op-ed(self done, not like I was asked to do it) in the local "news"paper of the area. One of the local elected officials had attended a party(county party), had a bit too much to drink and was given a ride by a police officer(who was in attendance) to a hospital to visit one of his kids that had fallen ill at home that night(sudden thing, known fever...it had spiked) and was taken by the babysitter to the hospital.

The county "busy bee" stuck their nose in and lambasted the sheriff's office and branch of government for "waste of county tax dollars".

My letter to the editor(who is the busy bee) essentially said...

"Seriously, complain about that...but ignore the real problems in the county. Way to waste your time."

I was banned...

Love the term "busy bee". What instantly gets me banned is when I refer to their moderators as "The Granny Patrol". I live on the very conservative east side of Washington state, so don't particularly fit in with the local politics.

(Sorry to the HTF mods, just a tiny infraction, please don't zap me)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
thinking.gif

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Did the IPCONFIG commands, but ever since then, when I close my laptop or it goes into sleep mode, when it comes back up, sometimes the NIC doesn't work. All I have to do is click "troubleshoot" and it resets, but this never happened before the ipconfig/release/renew command.

I can live with it, but if anybody has a possible solution, let met know.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Use any number of anonymous web proxy servers out on the interweb. Google it and away you go. That way you're not changing out hardware or messing with any of the settings on your machine.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
ArmSC said:
Use any number of anonymous web proxy servers out on the interweb. Google it and away you go. That way you're not changing out hardware or messing with any of the settings on your machine.
I'm going to start checking these out. I've got an HP dv6, not even sure if I could swap NICs, seems like I'd need a completely new motherboard. Anyhow, things have settled down, thanks for the info.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
You're welcome...sorry for reviving an old thread but I was bored and looking through some old posts. Figured it might be good for reference purposes.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Tony, old threads do deserve a bump once in a while.

Thanks to my black lab, who knocked my laptop out of my lap onto the floor, killing the hard drive, I'm fine.

New 500 Mb. hard drive installed about a two weeks ago. Re-installed all apps, OS, IE, etc. Still waiting for the discs from HP to get my fingerprint scanner and DVD writer working. But if you want to reset your IP address, I'm sure there are much easier ways to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks