Changing home theater system any suggestions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by mcher231, Sep 28, 2006.

1. mcher231

mcher231 Auditioning

I am new to this forum and just thought i'd ask a quick question.
    I now have a home theater system that i've gotten about 3-4 years ago, a sony ES receiver (i believe the 333ES model) and polk audio tower fronts, polk audio subwoofer, center, and rears. I just moved into a new place and there isn't much room there for my tower speakers. So i am thinking about maybe changing up to a HTIB (Onkyo Envision is what i had in mind) it will take up less room and will match the plasma tv a bit better. Any suggestions at all ? Even though my system is over 4 years old am i crazy for switching it to a HTIB or did they really improve those that much that i won't even be able to tell the difference ?
    Please please help very stuck here [​IMG]

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I would say the HTiB is a downgrade, personally. Why not get some Polk bookshelfs and sell your towers? Those Polks are going to be better than any HTiB (the speakers are usually the weakest link in a HTiB) and you can use the money you save for a receiver upgrade or maybe a more capable sub (Polk subs are good to about 35Hz and really don't troll too low in the frequency department) to offset the loss of the tower's bass.

3. mcher231

mcher231 Auditioning

So anything i would get that would be on wall/flat would not be as good as the old polk towers ?

4. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Inwalls would also be way better than any HTIB speakers.

5. mcher231

mcher231 Auditioning

I can't do inwall i meant on wall something flat that i can mount next to the plasma tv