changing aspect ratio with PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny B, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Danny B

Danny B Extra

HI,

im new to all this and only know a little about PC's.

What i wanna do is this:

I have a 2.35:1 SCREEN and when i watch a dvd movie with a aspect ratio of 2.35:1,the screen fills nicely from top to bottom,no complaints.

BUT if i put a dvd movie thats got a ratio of 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 then the top part of the movie comes out of the screen(thats a 2.35:1) and projects on to the wall a bit...not very nice.

What i want to do is control this with a PC if possible,making the top squashed a bit to fit back into the 2.35:1 screen.

NOTE:im not using the PC at the moment,just a interlaced DVD player with a projector BUT i have a PIII 450mhz with a dvd player and would upgrade if needed as long as i can control this overflow of the image(meaning adjust the picture to fit on the screen using the mouse to resize the edges).

If this is all possible i will go the HTPC way.

Also if i use a HTPC,can i still use my external DVD player and not the HTPC's dvd player.I like the 5disc changer that it has plus the DD and DTS decoder it has.

Let me know about this stuff first and then ill go and ask a few more questions that i have regarding HTPC that i need to know.

Thanks a million...

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

This is a function of your projector, not your source. If you try to take a large picture and cram it into a small space, you'll either get distortion (like an animorphic DVD being displayed raw to a 4x3 screen), or some form of letter boxing. What you're proposing, I think, is method one; change it from 16x9, for example, to, say, 15.5x9 and hope it looks OK.

3. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I remember hearing about the YXY program (not positive about the name) which will allow one with a HTPC to manipulate aspect ratios. Try a search over at AVS and you should come up with something. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

4. Danny B

Danny B Extra

thanks for the help guys,i will be doing a search on those programs and ill see what happens

thanks again

5. Brian Kissel

Brian Kissel Auditioning

R U nutz? There are so many DVD's that are 16:9 or 1.78:1 and 1.85:1. Get a different screen or adjust your throw on the pojector to fit 1.78:1 and live with the black bars when watching 2.35:1.

6. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

NO, Brian I think you might be.....[​IMG]
    Seriously, the constant height 2.35:1 is the most effective way to simulate a real theater in your home.
    Do a search over at AVS forum for constant height and see what you find.
    Ted

7. Brian Kissel

Brian Kissel Auditioning

R U telling me that people force whatever they're watching into 2.35:1? So watching a 1.85:1 you would effectivety zoom in enough to make the picture extend the full horizontal lenght and sacafice info or crop it via black matting on the top or bottom. Or keep the entire picture in the frame (zoom out) and it wouldn't extend all the way left to right like a 2.35:1 would?

8. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Or keep the entire picture in the frame (zoom out) and it wouldn't extend all the way left to right like a 2.35:1 would?

Right..... Just like any properly set up movie theater would do.

Ted

9. Brian Kissel

Brian Kissel Auditioning

R U sure? I allways recalled going to a movie theater with the screen full left to right, the only difference would be the hieght of the picture if in Superscope or 2.35:1. Wouls make more sence. But i'm new at this part of the game. Plz correct this newbie and be gentle. BTW if your right, wouldn't YOU rather have it the other way around so you could enjoy a bigger picture with 16:9? my 2 cents.

Brian

10. Danny B

Danny B Extra

Brian,

Most of my dvd collections are 2.35:1 AR and ive noticed a lot more dvd's are coming out with the same AR of 2.35:1,just like the movie ones,so thats why i decided to buy a 2.35:1 screen.

With most of my dvd's being that ratio,i get a full screen with no black bars anywhere.And when i watch a dvd with 16:9(1.78:1) i just zoom out and make it fit the screen top to bottom and slide the curtins(spell check) on the side so you cant see the empty space(still big screen even with that ratio).

It would be basically be the same if i bought a 16:9 screen and then when i wanna watch a 2.35:1 movie i would have to mask the top and bottom AND the picture would be smaller size as well.SO its the same no matter what but only difference being what ratio you like.

Ive seem to accept it that way now and it doesnt bother me.

11. Brian Kissel

Brian Kissel Auditioning

On that note, how do you "zoom out"? Wouldn't that require you to adjust the projectors optics? Isn't that a hassle? I'm thinking leave it fixed with a 16:9 screen and have adjustable matting or sideways curtins for 2.35 AR. Just thinking outloud. I don't have a projector but do have Sony's KL-W9000, a LCD rear projection 16:9 running VGA signal from the myterous (only on the shelves for two weeks) Apex AD-800A with hd-15 connector on the back.

12. Danny B

Danny B Extra

What i do is,have the projector setup for 16:9,1.85 and 4:3 where the image fits perfectly top to bottom and just slide curtins on both ends so you cant see the empty space..ok.,and there is no adjusting with either of those AR's.(the zoom is all the way in)

Then ,when i wanna watch a dvd movie with a 2.35:1 AR,i can either leave it as it is without adjusting/touching anything but will get black bars top and bottom and still have empty space on sides(again not using the full screen of 2.35:1),BUT what i do is,zoom out the picture(making it fit full left to right/top to bottom),slide the curtins all the way out and made a quick twist knob on the projector bracket where i can adjust it to go up or down as i require it to make it centered,it takes me about 10seconds to go from a 16:9 to a 2.35:1 AR this way.

So this way i only touch the projector when watching the 2.35 AR(so i can use my full screen) and dont even need to touch the focus,only zoom.

Hope you understand what im saying...this is the only way i know of without going into to much trouble