Changing 10" driver in Dayton Tiny Might II

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MuneebM, May 19, 2004.

1. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Has anyone ever changed the 10" driver in the Dayton 10" 100-watt powered subwoofer from Parts Express, aka Tiny Mighty II?

My HSU STF-2 driver had the air leak issue, so HSU is sending me a brand new 10" driver. My current HSU 10" driver can easily be sealed with silicone sealant to solve the air leak issue. Once that's done I plan to use it in my Dayton sub instead of the original 10" driver. Anyone foresee any problems with this, such as:
    (a) not enough amp power for the HSU driver
    (b) HSU driver won't sound good with the Dayton box design
    (c) any other concerns?

Please advise, I'm a complete noob to DIY or modding HT equipment.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=1
    Dynamic signature images powered by mod_perl running on Apache.
    My DVD Collection

2. Justin_A_D

Justin_A_D Auditioning

I would be interested in knowing this too, but not necessarily just for the HSU sub but any possible sub upgrade.

3. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Got my new STF-2 driver, popped it in my HSU STF-2. No more air leak, nice clean, tight, sweet bass [​IMG]

What to do with old driver, I thought? So I tried it in the Dayton. WOW! The difference was immediately noticeable: the bass is much cleaner and tighter with the STF-2 driver in the Dayton. And now my Dayton goes lower (frequency-wise) than it ever did before. Its also louder: I had to turn down the gain on the Dayton's amp (1/5 of a turn) to achieve the same SPL levels as before with the original Dayton driver (verified with SPL meter).

My new modded Dayton Tiny Mighty II is much better than it ever was. The STF-2 driver weighs twice as much as the el cheapo 10" driver the Dayton comes with, which is attributed to the fact that it has a much larger magnet with larger coils.

I call my new Dayton the "Dayton STF-2". So now I have an HSU STF-2 and a Dayton STF-2 [​IMG]

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=3
    My DVD Collection

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

That has to be about the first cross-bred subwoofer that I've heard of. The results sound amazing. Thanks for the update.

5. minhG

minhG Stunt Coordinator

hmm, well the hsu stf2 driver costs as much as the dayton 10" sub!what'd you expect?

6. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

minhG, how do you know how much the HSU STF-2 driver costs? Is it exactly twice the price of the Dayton sub?

I didn't exactly expect such an improvement; I was actually concerned that: (1) the amp on the Dayton wouldn't even have enough power to drive the STF-2 driver well enough, (2) the STF-2 driver may not sound good in such a small enclosure, and (3) the design of the Dayton enclosure may be the limiting factor of the performance of that sub.

I am pleasantly surprised with the results and did not expect a driver swap to make such a big difference on a $100 subwoofer. Of course, this mod is not exactly feasible for everyone considering the extra cost of another, better driver plus the original $100 would set you back about $200-250, which could've gotten you an STF-1, for example. However, this mod costed me nothing since my STF-2 had an air leak and I got a new driver for that, so I had a spare (slightly leaky) STF-2 driver lying around. Over the weekend, I'm gonna take it out of the Dayton and seal that leaky STF-2 driver, so no air leak.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=6
    My DVD Collection

7. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I wonder if the Quatro driver would work in the Tiny Mighty enclosure. Unfortunately, I can't perform this experiment on my own, since I do not own a Tiny Mighty on account of the hideous "Bung-Hole" on the front and general ugly overall design. If you can't have a sub any other way, then the Tiny Mighty should be OK but I think it looks like something that will walk to the kitchen at night and raid the refrigerator.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Roy,

I think some other members have turned the sub so the "bung hole" is facing the wall to get rid of the appearance issue. Then again, that still leaves a black, square cabinet to deal with. [​IMG]