What's new

Change speakers? (1 Viewer)

jimiJames

Auditioning
Hi to you all.

Well, I'm a bit of a newbie so please go easy on me.

I have a Sony DAV 500s which I'm pretty happy with, except for when I play CDs on it. For watching films it seem fine to me, but with CDs in stereo, it sounds thin and lacks detail in the middle and treble.

So I'm wondering if upgrading the two front speakers would make much difference.

What do you reckon to this?

John S

Senior HTF Member
It would be better, if you could move the speakers temporarliy to another system, to verify it, that's for sure.

Even if it isn't really the speakers you may find a different pair that emphasises those two areas to achieve a better performance as well.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No need to worry about people going easy on new people. This place is pretty tame. :)

This is a very common problem for small speakers of this type, which is why I recommend not going with tiny satellite speakers. I reckon upgrading the front two or three should make a considerable improvement. The only problem is, because the receiver's amp doesn't deliver much power, you will not be able to go with very demanding speakers. You could pick up some smallish bookshelf speakers that should help out though. What's the budget?

According to the specs, at least 3 of the speakers should have tweeters, while the rears do not, though I'm not sure how they differentiate between the front and surround speakers because they look identical to me. Is it possible you have the fronts and the surrounds swapped?

jimiJames

Auditioning
Thanks for your replies.

The speakers can't be mixed up because they are colour coded etc.

The budget is as little as possible.
I'm just looking for an improvement in the two stereo speakers.

Can you recommend some?

John S

Senior HTF Member
What physical size are you looking for?
The smaller the speaker and it definetly costs more to also have them sound what I consider good.

What is the largest physical size you would want?

jimiJames

Auditioning
Hi John, I'm not too bothered about the size as long as they're the right speakers.

I'm more worried about impedance(?) and stuff like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks