Change seat reservations on a flight..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Going to Alaska shortly on August 1st and meeting a friend in Seattle but she has a seat on an exit aisle. Found out I cannot change my seat beforehand cause I'm not an Alaska Airlines MVP member so I was wondering where do I go to see if I can change my seat at the airport, do I try that at the gate or do I have to go to the main counters?

Jay

2. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

Usually I call the day before the flight and ask for an exit row seat. Some airlines assign these seats 48 hours before the flight, some 24 hours, and some only assign them in person at the airport (they need to literally see you, since you have to be physically able to open the exit). Call today and ask what the airline's policy is.

When they're held for gate assignment, you'll just have to get there early enough to request the seat in person.

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

That may be the way things work on Alaska Airlines, but most airlines hold the exit row seats for their best or highest paying (full fare) customers. At UAL you could be there six hours ahead of time and it's no good if you're way down on the pecking order. They keep lists of people that want exit row seats, request class upgrades or that are flying on employee passes. They'll call your name in the gate area when the flight starts boarding and let you know whether you got the seat you requested or got bumped to another part of the aircraft.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks guys, I emailed AA to ask about their policy.. It's not a big deal, my seat is only 2 rows from her, I could yell or throw folded airplanes to her if I need to. I forget the length of the flight from Seattle to Juneau though..

I don't know how she got MVP status, but she might have flown AA last year when we both did the Alaska AIDS Vaccine ride.

Jay