Change from DirecTV to Dish for Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent Hutto, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

I have DirecTV service currently, along with cable to receive the local stations. We watched the "Enterprise" premiere and the sound quality was the poorest I've ever heard on a television broadcast. Our cable reception is uniformly lousy but I think this problem originated with the low-budget UHF station that is our local UPN affiliate. I am going to be putting up a good outdoor antenna soon an losing the cable feed altogether.
    Anyway, I seem to recall that Dish Network offers some sort of package that includes two UPN "superstations". I may be willing to switch from DirecTV to Dish if that will get me a decent feed of Enterprise. Does anyone know how much that "superstation" package costs from Dish? It's not listed on their web site, as far as I can tell. Is it still available and do you have to qualify in some way?
    I currently have a single-LNB dish and a Hughes "Gold" receiver for DirecTV. I assume that I can just replace the receiver with a Dish one and use my existing LNB, right? What should I expect to work differently if I make the switch? Would the menus and remote work about the same on an entry-level Dish receiver as on my Hughes? As a bonus, the "Top 50" package plus a la carte Golf Channel looks like it would be about $5/month cheaper than my "Select Choice" plus sports package on DirecTV.
    Finally, if I switch receivers, can I get a pretty good price from a Dish dealer? By that I guess I'm asking whether Dish will consider me a "new subscriber" and therefore subsidize the receiver so the local dealer can sell it to me cheap. And in general, does this plan make any sense at all.
    Thanks!
    Brent Hutto

2. Jon_T

Jon_T Agent

If you have never had Dish service in the past then you will be considered a new subscriber. It is not likely the local dealer will sell you a system below the MSRP price as they genreally have higher costs then the internet dealers. If you want a cheap system, then go to http://www.dishdepot.com They generally have the lowest prices on the internet and have been known to be reliable.

3. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    How's the time to switch, too, with Dish offering over 100 channels for $10 a month for new subscribers.
    ------------------
    --This Space For Rent--

4. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

It's a done deal!
    I ordered a Dish 4922 system on Thursday from http://www.allsat.com for $40-something, shipped. It arrived Monday afternoon and within 20 minutes I had swapped it in place of the DirecTV receiver and re-aimed the DirecTV antenna at the 119 satellite. It took another 10-15 minutes on the phone to subscribe to "Top 100", Golf Channel and the Superstation package using the "I Like Nine" promotion. So I'll be getting everything I had for $32/month on DirecTV plus a bunch of extra basic channels plus WSBK/WWOR for as long as they are around all for $19/month (for the first year). The sound through my home theater is very nice using the optical digital connection on the 4900 receiver.
    Unfortunately, I missed out on the free Showtime with AutoPay promotion. It expired on Saturday, Oct 6 and I didn't get my system until Monday, Oct 8.
    I think I got lucky aiming the dish. I made indelible marks in case I had to go back to DirecTV and then just moved it what felt like 11 degrees down and then started moving it to the west (21 degrees or so). At some point I heard the beeping get higher (listening through an open window) so I wiggled everything around until it seemed highest, climbed down the ladder and went inside. The signal was at 116, which I think is good enough. Later that evening, I went up the ladder and snugged down all the bolts to make sure the dish won't move and must have nudged it somehow since the signal is now 124, which I think is very good.
    On Wednesday, I'm going to tape "Enterprise" from WSBK on my brand-new S-VHS VCR (JVC 3900) and hopefully when I get home I can watch it in glorious Stereo sound and "digital quality picture". How's that?
    Brent Hutto