Championship Manager for the PC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Seno Jr., May 5, 2002.

1. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Am I the only one playing this game? I am obsessed with it even though I am losing horribly. I've had the game for awhile now, and pick it up occasionally to resume my losing. It's a behind the scenes Soccer simulator, where you assume the role of GM and coach of a soccer team. It's fascinating, but I can NOT seem to win, it must be that I don't understand Soccer. If any of you brits are playing, can you PLEASE help? I would love to learn how to win!

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Nope, you're not the only one. I've been a fan of it for years. I tend to play in the Scottish Premier League with my hometown team, Motherwell.

What team are you?

3. Larry Seno Jr.

Well I have been playing for like a year. So right NOW I'm Spartak Moscow, I tend to Manage Paris St. Germain as they are my favorite team. I consistently get fired. What strategy do you use to win? Im using a 3-1-3-3 with my full backs with arrows moving ahead, and my wings running towards the midfield, and my middies running towards the pitch.

FL SC FR

SC SC SC

DCM

DL DC DR

It doesn't work, but it's the BEST strategy I've found SO far. I picked up Landon Donovan from the San Jose Earthquakes and he is a BEAST, he has like 15-16 goals in 23 games, BUT, he is the only one that scores. PLEASE help me to let me know what I'm doing wrong because I lose ALL the time!!

4. Philip_cw_H

Philip_cw_H Auditioning

I love this game. Champ Man has taken many hours of my life. I started with 99/00 and have since moved up to 01/02. I have a few teams I like to use, mainly Leyton Orient. For a slightly easier time I play, Man City, Millwall, or Aberdeen.

I've done quite well in my current game, which is unusual I'm normally average to crap. In my second season I've got Leyton Orient atop the Second Division after I managed to win the League Cup & gain promotion in my 1st season. The Cup win was a total fluke, I managed to stay away from the best Premier League teams and the ones I did play used their reserves. This second season I am again making a deep League Cup run. I don't really have any explanation for how well I'm doing, I've taken the same team to extreme mediocrity in previous games.

My current tactic (which isn't really mine, I downloaded it) is working quite well. It's a 3-1-3-1-2 and whoever is in the AMC position does very well.

Here's the only advice I have to improve your squad:

1 Hire the best coaches who will come to your team, make sure that they coach their strengths (example - don't let a guy with a Coaching GK of 2 coach Gk's). Hire the maximum amount of coaches if you can afford it.

2 Scout. A lot. With the best scouts you can get.

3 Watch the transfer list. Check for bigger teams that are releasing players, they may be good players for you, of course they could be utter crap, check them out first. I found this SC who is tearing it up in my reserve side. He originally played for some Serie B side, Roma paid a little over a million pounds for him and them realeased him at the end of the season without him playing a game for them. I signed him for free. His stats are not really impressive at all, I think his finishing is a 6, he does nothing but score in my reserves. The few times I've played in the main squad he's done well.

4 If you are having problems understanding the game try managing somebody very good (with a patient board) to get the hang of it. Someone like Man Utd or Liverpool in England. They don't need any rebuilding like most of the lower league teams do.

This game is very very deep and very very addictive. Good luck.

5. Larry Seno Jr.

Finally my computer decided to let me win. I was managing Schalke 04 for a bit in the Bundislega, but I signed Anelka and that basically ruined my whole game.
    Now Im Managing Roma. It's fun, but my teams get into scoring draughts, I don't know what causes this [​IMG]