Chamber of Secrets Layer Change Problem?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brian Foley, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Brian Foley

Brian Foley Agent

I just got through watching Chamber of Secrets (widescreen) with my family. Somewhere in Chapter 34 (between 2:20 and 2:21), when Harry is in Dumbledore's office, the movie stopped completely, as if I had pressed the Stop button. This happened with our main DVD player, a Pioneer Elite DV-45A. It does not happen with the DVD player on my computer.

I'm guessing that this is a layer change problem, since the same thing happened at the layer change in Monsters Inc with our previous DVD player, a Pioneer Elite DV-05.

Anyone else have the same problem? I see that someone was having some other problems with Chamber of Secrets on a JVC player, but it seemed to be an entirely different problem.

2. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

This happened to me at the layer change. It just locks up. This is on my JVC DVD player. On my Sony it goes back to the layer change just after the Quidditch game. Seems like WB might of had some bad pressings... I think ill exchange it tomorrow.

L8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

3. Brian Foley

Brian Foley Agent

Was the layer change problem at the point in the movie that I described, when Harry's about to look at the inscription on the sword?

4. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    I didn't even notice the layer change on mine, but I seriously doubt it's after 2:20 minutes! There'd be compression artefacts galore.

Chris

5. Brian Foley

Brian Foley Agent

Ahh, I didn't think about that. I was just thinking that it happened near the end of the movie, just as it did on Monsters Inc. Must be a different kind of problem.

6. Patrick Soucy

Patrick Soucy Second Unit

The Layer change is in the middle of the movie, when Harry talk to Hagrid in Hogwarts Corridors...

7. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Yea, I thought I saw the layer change when the camera goes back to Hagrid's face, it sorta paused for just a fraction of a second.

8. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    This sounds like a bad pressing problem.
    on both my JVC and portable Panasonic DVD players, just at the moment after Harry gives Dobby the sock, and dobby attacks the slithern villian, it starts to pixalate and pause a few moments.

I looked at the DVD's surface...
    I noticed a small speckel splotch near the end(edge) of the DVD.-which looks and IS part of the DVD, since I tried cleaning it off.
    This looks like what is causing the pausing and pixlateing

I'm going to exchange as well

UPDATE

I just got back from Wal-mart(sigh) and I purchsed a new HP DVD.
    Opened it up and look at the surface and there is NO blemish what so ever, played it and runs GREAT!