Challenging speaker placement

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Andrew Sleight, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Andrew Sleight

Can anyone comment or suggest improvements to my speaker placement? I have not installed my system other than the projector so far. It all arrives tonight!

I have a tricky speaker placement. Cathedral ceilings with exposed wooden beams. The ceiling is 9' on the right speaker placement and 12~13' on the left. I sorta hafta mount the fronts and centres at the top of the ceiling on the beam, and the rears on the beam behind. The screen fills the entire wall but I could shrink it down and mount the fronts on the wall but not the centre.

q1. Will there be any degredation if the fronts are so high?
    q2. Will there be any degredation if the left channel is 3' higher than the right?

I cant mount on the left wall at all as there is a chimney on the left about 3' in from the left wall.

Thanks

Here is a link to a picture of the set up

members.optusnet.com.au/~asleight/ht-speakers.jpg

2. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I'd go exactly as you have it drawn. Shrink the screen just enough to fit the fronts on each side of the screen, head level. I'd put the center on the floor (since they usually point UP a little in their default position, they'll be pointing at your head) and just set the bottom of the screen to touch the top of the center speaker. The rears can go up high near the ceiling since they are there for ambient sound.

3. Andrew Sleight

Many thanks.

Can the centre be mounted high and point down rather than be low and point up?

Also if the rears are behind should they face each other or face the screen?

4. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Sure, the center can be mounted high, I just thought lower would be easier for you. If you can mount it high, a few inches down from the ceiling, you should be fine. Same thing for the floor, you don't want it right ON the floor. I think you'll want it about 6" up from the floor or down from the ceiling (A foot would be better).

5. Andrew Sleight

Great.

So I have the center mounted a foot from the ceiling and the fronts mounted at head hight either side of the screen, the rears mounted high about a foot from the ceiling and just behind the sitting position and the sub on the right hand side.

Last questions I promise[​IMG]

Q1. As the rears are so high should they face each other or face the screen?

Q2. Will it make much difference if I mount the fronts a foot from the ceiling rather than at head hight?

Many thanks

Andrew

6. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I don't think it will matter where the speakers are mounted, as long as they aren't too close to the wall on the sides. I point all my speakers at the sweet spot (couch).

7. Andrew Sleight

Thank you - installation starts tonight!