What's new

Challenge Conventional Thinking (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I just hate going the way society thinks we should act sometimes, and love to challenge things...

For instance,

It's 90 degree's and humid outside. If we wear respectable shorts ( No holes) and a short sleeve shirt, and do our job the way we normally do, who cares if that's what we wear to work? Same person, same proffesional attitude, just in more comfortable clothes...

Most people could care less if there are politicians. So, get rid of them. Keep the President, VP, keep one of the houses(house or senate), keep the town mayors, his staff, and that's it. Do most people even know who their state senator is, or care? Do they really make that much of a difference in our personal lives?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Uhhhh, you have heard of a little thing called the Constitution and it's finely tuned system of checks and balances that is one of the founding ideas of representitive republic (i.e. "Democratic") governments the world over? Sheesh.:rolleyes

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

True. But I'm not talking ripped shorts, shirts with tye dyes all over them, earings peirced up the wazoo. I'm just talking nice, normal shorts ( clear colored or Plaid), and a plain color T-Shirt. What's wrong with wearing that and Shoes? Suits are so cumborsome, especially in hot weather :).

>>>
Uhhhh, you have heard of a little thing called the Constitution and it's finely tuned system of checks and balances that is one of the founding ideas of representitive republic (i.e. "Democratic") governments the world over? Sheesh.:rolleyes>>>>

Demo whatic? :) juuuust joking with that line. I'd expand on that, but the thread might get bumped :).

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I don’t to which jobs you are referring, but there are plenty that don’t require society’s input as to your dress. If you are a self-employed cabinetmaker or violinmaker, for example, you can wear what you want. But if your job depends on the approval of others, then a part of gaining that approval is to appear as they expect. So if you work for a company that wants you to represent that company to bank executives, you would be foolish to wear shorts (especially as the weather outside will have little to do with the boardroom.

There are a lot of places where shorts are not acceptable, even for casual wear.

And there are plenty of jobs (other than self-employment) where you can wear shorts.

One of my wife’s cousins remarked to me one day, as we were discussing dress, that if he wore a suit when presenting a paper (he is a cancer researcher), his data would be viewed as suspect. On the other hand, when trying to get funding, banks expected to see a dressed up look (but not necessarily in a dark suit).

Creative types mostly get a pass on dress (except that other artists won’t like it if they wear a suit0, even from the guys with the money.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Well if we did, you'd be all "I just hate going the way society thinks we should act sometimes, and love to challenge things..." and point us back to where the world was. Avoid the bother of a round-trip and stay put. :)

Our social systems are largely the result of years of tweaking the previous system, not from frequent whole-sale replacements. The (very real) challenge is figuring out fine-tunings to make to the current system to make it work better. The adjustments can fix problems with the previous, but can introduce new problems. So then we tweak again, fixing some breaking some. Done well, overall the system improves.

But if you change, particularly gross changes, without due consideration, you will lose the benefits of years of tweaks, and introduce new (significant) problems from your new system.

So, in your "challenging", have you worked through the ramifications? What will be improved? What will get worse? What are likely unintended consequences that will result? Are they still better than the current system?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If you are going to wear clear shorts, why wear shorts at all? Free Willy! As for plaid... umm...wanna buy some shoes?

You are no longer one with the vortex, you must be cast out! Sheep, bloody sheep I tell you.... :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I think Neil has been suffering from acute boredom for the last few weeks (which translates into an average of 2 new threads per day).

--
H

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

Man, I totally agree with you. I work as an analyst for the government and 99% of my time is spend in a cubicle, so who cares? Besides, if the lady across from me can come into the office with a sleeveless top and a skirt, I don't think a nice pair of presentable shorts is asking too much. I am telling you, I smell a major class action discrimination lawsuit.

As for those who think suits = more trustworthy, I see Ken Lay wearing suits.....

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

I knew that one would pop out of someones typing f ingers :). Clear Shorts should have been said as one colored shorts..

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Holadem said:
I think Neil has been suffering from acute boredom for the last few weeks (which translates into an average of 2 new threads per day).

--
H[/QUO

Could be. I also get more time to think....wich is always bad :)... Check out the latest one I just started after an annoying driving home from work ;)

Kevin T

Screenwriter

where??!! the only thing kenny-boy is wearing nowadays is the acrid stench of death.

kevin t

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Okay, so everyone gets to wear shorts when it's hot out. Now that is the norm. So are you going back to a suit to be different again? How about wearing a snowsuit instead? :)

We must become hunters and killers ourselves!

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

Nope. Then I'd stay in shorts during the summer, and dress pants in the winter :). Go with the flow of the season :).

Although, I have been known to walk the dog for a few minutes in shorts, in ten degree weather :). But that was because I Had the heat on high inside, and didn't feel like changing :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks