Chain reaction car crash *Video*

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott L, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Ha, I like hte guy who held onto the door and slided on the ground trying to stop the car.

3. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

It was slick as hell that day out here. The night before we got a thick layer of ice on the road and then in the morning snow hit. Took me three tries to get up a hill to get to work. Seems like road crews have been pretty bad this year.

Crazy video though. Didn't recall seeing it on the local news. [​IMG]

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Good to see some more potential Darwin Award winners. Here's an idea: throw yourself out of your car, into traffic, on an ice covered hill so instead of just a bent fender, you could get run over by someone who also can't stop. Brilliant. Or maybe get out of your vehicle when it's stopped and stand between your car and the one behind you because you couldn't possibly get pinned between them. Sometimes, you wonder if people are really this dumb...and then you get video to prove they are.

Bruce

5. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I agree it isn't too bright to jump out of a moving car. I saw this clip on the news a few days ago. Crazy stuff. It was like watching Ashlee Simpson's singing career. [​IMG]

Sorry couldn't resist. Anyway, I think some people thought that if they jumped out of their cars and held onto it that they could somehow slow it down or stop it. At least that's the impression I got when I saw the clip.

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I can't find the stupid thing, how about a direct link!

Brent

7. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Anyone who has a brain knows that, if it's icy, it's best to keep several thousand pounds of steel and plastic between you and other cars that are out of control. Idiots, getting out of their cars...

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

This doesn't make any sense. Don't people in Denver know about icy roads? I can see if this were to happen in a place that never snows and people were freaking out because they don't understand what's going on, but jumping out of your car???

I just don't understand what that was supposed to do? I mean, even though it really wasn't their fault, can they now be charged for leaving a moving car? That's got to be some sort of fine.

p.s. How about the 200 car pile up in Michigan.
    http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2...age666585x.jpgThis should work (even in Netscape):
    http://video.cgi.cbsnews.com/video/v...ideo666145.wmv
    p.s. Don't download the file from the above link, just click it (because it needs to stream).

9. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Anyone know any driving techniques that might have gotten some of those folks out of trouble ? Any methods of getting control back once a skid like that starts ? I was once in a situation like that due to a light rain that fell when the temp was around 33 degrees. I have no idea how I managed to avoid hitting anyone. Looks like no one was hurt, that's a good thing [​IMG]

10. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

lmao thats beautiful. [​IMG]

11. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    These weren't very fast collisions. Yet plenty of bumpers were damaged and have even detached completely from their vehicles. Back in the late seventies, a driver skidded out of control under the same conditions and hit my mom's Dodge Dart from the rear. The only "damage" was a VERY minor dent in the bumper, one you'd easily miss if you weren't looking closely enough.

For how long have bumpers become a "decorative accessory?"

12. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

It's not the bumper that's coming off, it's the bumper cover. This has been a problem ever since they eliminated the old fashioned bumpers and "merged" them into the body. Under a certain speed the bumper itself will be fine, but the cover will still likely get damaged. However sometimes the bumper cover will flex with the collision, and you'll need to have the car examined in case the bumper itself was damaged and needs to be replaced. If the bumper was damaged and not replaced, it won't be effective in future collsions at absorbing the energy, which could cause more damage to the car and/or the occupants.

13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

A friend of mine got hit a guard rail on the highway (years ago) in his Dodge. The cops said if he had one of the old style / big black bumpers on the front and back, type of cars, he (and the car) would have been in a lot worse condition because the old bumpers aren't as forgiving. The fact that the bumbers are more flexible and bouncy (i.e. due to the bumper covers), his car just bounced off the guard rail and he was ok.

It may cause more damage to the cover, but better the cover damage than bodily damage.

14. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

If you have time just slip the car into neutral then hit the brakes.

I saw a show where they tested this out on ice, when the car was put into neutral it always stopped many car lengths shorter than when they didn't slip it into neutral.

Living in Canada we have the odd driving show on "what to do in icy conditions".[​IMG]

15. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I don't know if anything could've been done. It was the hill and weight of the car that was causing the skid and basically, you're going to keep going until you hit something.

No, they weren't. But in even such low speed collisions, there was plenty of crumpled metal and broken plastic and that car that lifted the back of the van completely off the ground. That's why it's just shocking to think someone would think it's safer outside the vehicle during an accident.

Bruce

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

This makes no sense. The braking distance on slick roads is limited by the amount of friction between the tires and the road, putting the car into neutral doesn't change anything, on a manual most people grab the clutch so it is in neutral, on an automatic the brakes are applying more force than the engine braking. Unless it has something to do with the ABS letting off the brakes and the additional engine braking causing some delay or something. This is going to bug me for days now.

I love the "flintstones" braking method that one guy was trying [​IMG]

as a side note I've slid into someone at that speed and had both bags pop. Nice.

17. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I just remembered another technique my dad told me about (he's a driving safety instructor). If your wheels are locked up, put the car in reverse and hit the gas. I wouldn't recommend it if your wheels are still spinning through. [​IMG]

18. Paul Bond

Paul Bond Stunt Coordinator

The best I can think of is to leave your car keys on the dresser, call work and tell them you are too smart to go out into that mess, and then watch DVDs all day.

Bond. Paul Bond.

19. DaveJJ

DaveJJ Stunt Coordinator

For those of you who can't find the video. If you read Scott L post carefully! It says only works with IE! People do crazy things.

DaveJJ

20. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

Well if I was slowly sliding into an inevitable low-speed chain reaction collision I would certainly be worried about my airbag exploding in my face. Not enough to hop out of a moving vehicle mind you but the thought of an impending broken nose and facial flash burns sure would make me think twice.