What's new

CH new club - DV2 (1 Viewer)

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else get Columbia House's new Club mailer?
The deal - all DVDs (in the catalog) are 40% off list price. Free shipping. If you like the club, you pay an annual fee of $9.95.

There is some decent stuff in the catalog, but nothing really better than release day prices. Might be good for catalog stuff. There are several studios missing, Disney, HBO.

Offical site is www.dv2.com

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
Pay $9.95 a year for the privilege of buying overpriced DVDs from Columbia House, the lords of hassle?

Hmmm. Lemme think about that one for awhile... ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's not fair since at 40% off they really aren't overpriced. Still, not sure about this deal. They don't let you actually search the titles they have available, unless I'm missing something.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor

John--everything about the CH business model is about overpricing and hassle. If they could compete on price, service, and selection they wouldn't have to resort to 15-for-1 offers and mail-in opt out cards to hook and keep customers. Even when they change their business model to something reasonable, they are compelled by habit to require a $10/year "membership" to buy DVDs. If the pricing and service is so great, why play that game?

CH has earned so much enmity from their customers that they'd be better off torching the Columbia House name and starting over as something new...say Amazon.com for example.

Oh wait, that one is already taken. ;)

James D

Second Unit
Bill-it's obvious that you have had problems with CH in the past, but I must offer a differing opinion. I've been in the DVD club many times in the past and have never encountered a problem. My average cost per DVD was $7. I have just recently fulfilled a TV Greats membership that I can now cancel with no further obligation. In that membership, I was able to get Babylon 5 Seasons 1 and 2 box sets, Enter the Dragon SE, Good, the Bad and the Ugly SE and Tokyo Godfathers for a total cost of $60. It would cost me more than that just to get one of the Babylon 5 box sets. They did once send me a director's selection that I did not want and all I had to do was to write "Refused-Return to Sender" and when they received it back, they promptly credited back my card. You just have to know which codes to use to maximize your savings.:)

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor

In the end, I decided I got just as good or better deals trading with my friends at HTF--and nobody here requires me to pay a membership to do so. ;)

Terry H

Second Unit
This is no great shakes for regular movies but a nice deal for box sets and TV on dvd. 40% off and free shipping can be a sweet deal for those who buy lots of sets. ;)

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,
Respectfully, I didn't really post it for just you. I have also been an off and on member of CH as have a number of people here. I saw a new program and I shared it.

Granted, I don't buy the volume that would make it worthwhile for me personally. I thought there would be other who might benefit. I'm just not thrilled with the limited selection at this point.

Other that the annual fee, at least CH is trying something new that makes their product more reasonably priced.

Jim-M

Second Unit
I'll echo what James D said. Since I've been buying from CH I have a hard time paying more than $7 for DVD anymore. For people that buy a lot of box sets, DV2 looks to be an exceptional deal. Many of the prices I've seen are by far the lowest available at 40% off. Purchase a couple of box sets and you've easily got your $10 fee back. Anything after that is gravy. I bet that people who do a lot of orders for new releases from DDD would save quite a bit at DV2.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
from the site:
GET UNLIMITED ACCESS TO COLUMBIA HOUSE'S DV2 EVERY DAY LOW PRICES ON OVER 4,000 TITLES - buy all the DVDs you want at 40% off or more off list price, and get free shipping on every purchase... all the time! Sign up now for an annual access fee of just $9.95.
We'll also give you a free DVD (and yes, we'll even ship it free)!

it LOOKS like when you send 'em the $10, you get a 'free' DVD (of your choice?) in which case I dont see how they stay in business...but YOU are already ahead of the game...

They probably have a limited selection ie no Disney, Criterion, etc
and 4th Class postage is a drag

but still I dont see how you can lose.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I just signed up for this. The majority of the DVD's that are available for free when you sign up are DVD's we already have or would never think of getting.

I picked up The Wizard of Oz.

I signed up to check out the prices on the TV sets.

I'm guessing on titles like Futurama which retail at about $39.99 and if you can save at least 40% on each title, thats about $16 off with free shipping. But I'm not sure if they carry Futurama, so this is just an example.

Paul

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
Might as well check it out. Even if I never actually buy anything in my year "membership," a DVD for $9.95 shipped isn't too bad. I more or less expect the "40% off prices" to be the price other places have been selling them at for years, so whether or not I purchase anything would have to do with the shipping cost involved. Picked up X2...

Oh yeah, no reply cards to deal with...that would have been a deal-breaker.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I just joined the other day, and finally received my official welcome via e-mail today. A quick comparison with DeepDiscountDVD indicates that the prices at DV2 are USUALLY (but not always) somewhat lower than at DDD, particularly on sets. Of course, the selection at DDD will be larger, but receiving a 40% discount is quite nice. Depending on how this works out, I may drop my regular CH membership; we shall see. At the very least, it's nice to have another option and not have to worry about shipping costs, not to mention the lack of an automatic selection. I've already ordered my first selection, so I have fulfilled my obligation for the first year.

Steve K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks