CGI Popeye special possibly holding up Max Fleischer classic cartoons!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Patrick McCart, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I read on the Animation Show Forums that King Features has actually admitted to holding back Warner and Turner from releasing an official DVD set of the classic Paramount Popeyes (KFS has an agreement with Turner that they have to approve anything)...

...so they wouldn't have competition against the new CGI special on DVD.

That being said, does anyone have some pitchforks and torches on hand? [​IMG]

http://www.animationshow.com/forums/...=ST&f=8&t=1356 (It's the 8th post)

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    this sucks!!

We need the fleisher Popeye's on DVD! Has there ever been a decent or complete collection of these?

3. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    The classic Popeyes would be so perfect on DVD--and for that matter, the complete Betty Boop!!

[​IMG]

4. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Russell,

It is my understanding that there has never been a legitimate (non-bootleg) release of the Popeye cartoons on DVD, Laserdisc or on VHS! [​IMG]

5. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

This is shocking !!!!!!!1

6. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Don't some of the Popeyes fall into the public domain, though, as was the case with some of the WB cartoons?

Of course, there has never been any kind of complete or "sequential" release for Popeye at all (to my knowledge), just the same old low-rent budget titles.

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell

This is the most depressing thing I've heard! Why no love for the Fleisher cartoons? [​IMG] I think I heard in another thread that UCLA or someone was restoring these, and that they might pop up on some Paramount titles (simlar to Loony Tunes and Warner classics) If King Features are this sticky with them, than I doubt this well happen at all!

I second the Betty Boop request!

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    VCI released a 2-disc set containing all of the public domain Fleischer and Famous Studios Popeye cartoons a few months ago. Jerry Beck (who consulted with WB on their Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes sets) helped put together the compilation. The cartoons even have original titles edited back in.

However, Warner has been doing their own restorations of the Popeye cartoons in-house. They're using all the original negatives to the B&W cartoons and I'm pretty sure the sequential exposure negatives for the Technicolor ones. Wotta Nitemare was featured in Cartoon Network's "The Popeye Show" in restored form and Popeye the Sailor Meets Sindbad the Sailor has been shown in theaters a few times. The latter has been said to look fantastic (probably not unlike the Looney Tunes SEN restorations). Also, it looks like Warner is restoring 25 cartoons a year, so if King Features decided to be a little less annoying in 2005 or 2006, Warner would have enough for a 2-disc set.

UCLA did, however, restore most of the Betty Boop cartoons. AMC, before they turned to the Predator 2 channel, aired some of the restored versions. Right now, Lion's Gate has the DVD rights (Artisan, before, had rights since 1997...) but now they're not interested in doing any more Republic licenced titles. So, when the Republic library reverts to Paramount for home video distribution next year, we need to really get them to do something along the lines of what Disney and Warner has been doing with cartoons.

UCLA also has either restored or preserved the Fleischer Color Classics, too. Since there are not a lot of them, it may be possible to mix those in with the Betty Boop cartoons on a Paramount DVD set.

The bottom line is that we need to show as much support as we can to Warner on getting the Popeye cartoons released, especially since KFS is basically holding them hostage. We also need to get the word out to Paramount next year that we want Boop and the other Fleischer classics they own on DVD.

9. AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson Stunt Coordinator

10. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

The same 6 or 7 public domain Fleischer cartoons we've been watching over and over and over and over and over again for the past two decades.

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    The only Popeye DVD worth getting is the VCI 2-disc set. The crap released by Goodtimes and Winstar feature ugly over-DVNR'ed transfers with awful stereo surround remixes.

And I'm pretty sure all use whatever Eastmancolor prints are around. I think the VCI set used dye-transfer 16mm for the color cartoons.

12. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Forgive me, I should have said "non-PD" instead of "non-bootleg". Still, it is very sad that there has been no legitimate, licensed release, even on VHS.

Thanks, Patrick for all the info. The Jerry Beck set looks like the best bet, until something better comes along.

13. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Just in case people are interested, Jim Hill Media have a review (with pictures) up on the CGI Popeye here

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
  15. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

wow that is awesome news indeed.

Let's hope this is also done in the UK

[​IMG]

16. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    Don't get your hopes up on the marathon, though. They're probably going to show the colorized versions of the B&W Fleischer and Famous cartoons.

It's a pity, especially when they have the wonderful Popeye Show masters with restored titles (and Wotta Nitemare was fully restored).