What's new

CGI Bruce Lee (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I saw this over at Cinescape. Sorry if it's been discussed before, but I don't remember seeing a thread on it...

Movie News

Bruce Lee Lives Again

CG homunculus of late actor to be prominent in new film.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dateline: Thursday, November 15, 2001

By: FRANK KURTZ

By: News Editor

Source: Variety

The late, legendary martial arts movie star Bruce Lee will live again in a new feature film via the wonders of computer effects.

The Korean ShinCine production, headed by Chul Shin and partially backed by Samsung, has acquired the rights to Lee's likeness from his estate to be featured prominently in a $50M chop socky project called DRAGON WARRIOR.

The film's script is currently going through its third draft and will be further refined with an eye towards American audiences.

DRAGON WARRIOR will be the first film to digitally recreate a known actor for a major film role. Still, don't expect this to happen overnight, due to word that ShinCine has not, as yet, selected a studio to create the film's CG material.

Regarding the project, Lee's daughter, Shannon Lee, explained why the family agreed to allow her father's image to be recreated, saying, "we believe in ShinCine's and Mr. Shin's enthusiasm and commitment to making a first-rate film."
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I don't think it's that much different from using doubles as in Game of Death and The Crow. On the other hand, it doesn't feel quite right. If this film is a success, will other families of deceased celebrities follow suit? Will we see new movies featuring CGI likenesses of Humphrey Bogart and John Wayne? What do you guys think?

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
computer generating yoda is one thing....CG Bruce Lee is another. it should not be done. it's going to look terrible and is not very considerate to his untimely death

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If anyone watched the Sopranos when they CGI'd Livia (Nancy Marchand), then I'd say that CGI Bruce Lee is a bad idea (tm).

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a fantastic idea...
...FOR ME TO POOP ON!
:)
-Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think it will look more like Final Fantasy than the CGI work done on Sopranos or Gladiator.

I also think it a bad idea.

MikeAW

Second Unit
This only goes to "prove" that the Lee family and these motion picture producers are genuinely intellectually and morally bankrupt.

The unfortunate thing is that it reflects negatively on ALL filmmakers and the media industry, at large. But what's ironic, is that it is true!

In the long run, it gives the Media Industry an excuse in the future, not to hire living, qualified actors...which I'm sure they are going to exploit to a great extent...in ALL media...because the Consumer is going to find it cute, no matter how many times it's employed. The type of producer that's going to exploit it the most, is the one who can afford to pay for it...not the independent filmmaker.

Today's Media Monarchs are not democratic and don't care a twit about the morality about ANYTHING because they don't have to be ethical or moral. Everyone does have a price and every estate that represents a salable Personality will exploit it.

Remakes are "sure things" in an industry where there is no such thing as a sure thing. Anyone from the entire breadth of recorded visual film history can be "resurrected" via this technology, and you will see it! So hold your nose and hold onto your shorts...it's going to be a bumpy ride !

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone who likes seeing John Wayne shilling beer from the grave, or Fred Astaire dancing with a vacuum cleaner, will undoubtedly be in favor of this movie.

I think the idea is a complete abomination. Not only will it look ridiculous, but Bruce can't even have a say in how he's portrayed or what his "character" does in the film. Hey, if you have a great idea for a martial arts movie, why not get Jet Li to act in it? Lord knows he needs a decent project, and badly!

Can't we let our fallen celebrities live on through their bodies of work and leave it at that? Sheesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks