Cevia & Digital Photo Frame

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Dautel, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

ARRRRRGH! I'm so frustrated......
    Anyone else messed with Ceiva yet. What a great idea for grandparents ... you give them the frame, then send pictures of the kiddies to the frame via the internet. www.ceiva.com is the portal for this. The frame owner doesn't have to do anything!
    I thought a digital photo frame would be perfect for my technophobe parents. I failed with WebTV last year. (after 75 years old, most people just can't adapt to technology). Anyway, Ceiva & Polaroid frames were on clearance this holiday season, so I was excited about this gift.
    Here's the problem ... the Ceiva website is overwhelmed with traffic this week; I guess I wasn't the only one with this brilliant idea. I have only managed to upload 1 picture (out of about 5 attempts) and each click means a 5-10 minute wait (if you don't timeout).
    I hope this is just post-Christmas traffic as everyone rushed to upload mega-megs of digital photos. But I want to know how many days/weeks it's gonna take for response time to get reasonable.
    Anyone else try this in the pre-Christmas months? I have quite a few technical questions.
    Scott

2. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I would return the Ceiva frame ASAP and buy a Kodak one from CompGeeks.com. The Kodak frame sells for $119 - 10% Coupon "MCEXCLUSIVES" + shipping. It can hold 36 640x480 pictures internally and an unlimited amount via CF cards. These frames used to use Kodak's StoryBox service which is now out of business. Ceiva's service is sure to die as well and then you frame will be worthless.

True, you won't be able to send pics to the grandparents over the Internet. But you will be able to mail them every few months a 32MB CF card ($10-$20) with thousands of pictures. Viewing them is as simple as popping the old CF card out and the new one in.

I own 5 of these Kodak frames and they are great (I paid a little less than what they are charging now)!

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

That link you gave is to a Swedish IT consulting company. Do you have another web-address, this sounds like an interesting thing that I've never even heard about before.
    EDIT: Nevermind, Don gave the name as Ceiva, so I tried http://www.ceiva.com and that worked.
    Seems like a cool thing, if it works. [​IMG]
    /Mike

4. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Mike ... sorry, link is fixed now.

Don ... thank you for your advice, which is very good thinking. At that price, I just may order 1 or 2 Kodak frames anyway, but I'm going to keep this Polaroid/Ceiva frame for now. BTW, I did get it from Compgeeks.com (great outfit); it was only $85 with 20 pics worth of internal memory plus a (14.4) modem.

For anyone else interested ... the Ceiva service is not free. It's $4.95 per frame per month, but anyone can send pics to the frame for free (with frame owner permission).

So far ... Mom & Dad are thrilled about the gift ... by tonight, they should actually even be seeing my pics.

5. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

The Kodak frames are great! They have a few quirks though which are simple enough to overcome. Just PM me if you ever have any questions...