What's new

CES 2021: hype, rumors, leaks and virtual keynotes (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sony is also having 83" OLEDs yay.

I'm going to be very tempted this year. I said it would have to be an 88" to get me to go down from 120" projection, but the lure of brighter HDR may be too great.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure my old eyeballs will actually be able to tell the difference between 10 bit and 12 bit colour.

I was planning to buy one of LGs OLEDs as a wall mounted replacement for a computer monitor. Now, it seems I will have to wait until more of these sets incorporate Freesync and Gsync on their sets and it becomes more affordable. It is pointless buying a set that will support only one of those standards as Samsung has chosen to do with its 2021 high end 8K sets.

I'm pretty well burned out by the planned obsolescence that these manufacturers are engaging in. TVs are not cell phones. It is getting too expensive to replace a TV every two to three years, not to mention the incredible e-waste being generated. I have been lucky in being able to recycle my old sets to family members but that avenue is pretty well exhausted and, thanks to the manufacturers, selling old TVs is a waste of time.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
I'm not sure my old eyeballs will actually be able to tell the difference between 10 bit and 12 bit colour.

I was planning to buy one of LGs OLEDs as a wall mounted replacement for a computer monitor. Now, it seems I will have to wait until more of these sets incorporate Freesync and Gsync on their sets and it becomes more affordable. It is pointless buying a set that will support only one of those standards as Samsung has chosen to do with its 2021 high end 8K sets.

I'm pretty well burned out by the planned obsolescence that these manufacturers are engaging in. TVs are not cell phones. It is getting too expensive to replace a TV every two to three years, not to mention the incredible e-waste being generated. I have been lucky in being able to recycle my old sets to family members but that avenue is pretty well exhausted and, thanks to the manufacturers, selling old TVs is a waste of time.
Correct, unless the content is optimized specifically to demonstrate this difference, it will not be noticeable for SDR content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks