What's new

CES 2014 Display news as it happens (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, what is really happening is that the # of 3D sets has fallen flat. Meanwhile, both Sony & Microsoft shipped new consoles (XBOX1 and PS4) with AMD chipsets that.. for right now... do not play 3D Blu-ray. It appears as though the drive for at home 3D has just hit a brick wall.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I never made a prediction per se, but personally I never saw the appeal of in-home 3D beyond the initial "ooh" factor. Frankly, I'm kind of relieved there's not a new thing enticing me to trade out my current display. There's something to be said for feeling happy with a longstanding set up and not feeling the need to upgrade anything.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I thought 3D TV was.. interesting, and I still have 3D TVs. But, after a lot of back and forth, we setup our new projector (review upcoming!) in the main theater.. the Sony 600ES. And let me say.. the 3D Projection is BAD ASS. It looks better than some of the theaters I've been too, and it is an awesome experience.

What it makes me realize is that 3D TV for the most part is junk in comparison to a projected 3D format.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
mattCR said:
And let me say.. the 3D Projection is BAD ASS. It looks better than some of the theaters I've been too, and it is an awesome experience.

What it makes me realize is that 3D TV for the most part is junk in comparison to a projected 3D format.
There is a new type of personal glasses-free 3D display technology with a wide variety of prescriptions and pupillary distances that literally makes it a totally glasses free experience. Avegant Personal 3D Retinal Display Headset $499.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
mattCR said:
I thought 3D TV was.. interesting, and I still have 3D TVs. But, after a lot of back and forth, we setup our new projector (review upcoming!) in the main theater.. the Sony 600ES. And let me say.. the 3D Projection is BAD ASS. It looks better than some of the theaters I've been too, and it is an awesome experience. What it makes me realize is that 3D TV for the most part is junk in comparison to a projected 3D format.
Unfortunately, that projector looks to be a few years away from being a mainstream option (as much as projectors can be mainstream). :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Paul Hillenbrand said:
There is a new type of personal glasses-free 3D display technology with a wide variety of prescriptions and pupillary distances that literally makes it a totally glasses free experience. Avegant Personal 3D Retinal Display Headset $499.
I wonder what would happen if you did a "live feed camera" set-up in a hoodie/scarf(covering everything but the "whatever the hell you call that") and went into a bank...

By the way. Video vs audio mode...do you actually shift the ear cups? or move the whole thing and push a button?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks