What's new

Cerwin's new "Classic" speakers: girly-men need not apply! :^) (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Holy smokes these things look scary......but cool too!

Classic Series

Someone here is going to be checking these out real soon.....and please give us a report after you do!

LJ

WayneO

Supporting Actor
They look really interesting, and efficient as hell. Those would be the envy of college dorm dwellers everywhere. :)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
What other material do you expect them to form those waveguides from, hand-carved rosewood? :rolleyes

Just like certain highly regarded "polite"--i.e. DULL sounding speakers--Cerwins have their place in the audio world.

LJ

John S

Senior HTF Member
They look like Band PA speakers!!!!

Dual 15" Drivers... To much!

What was once old, is now new again. lol (and labled classic!)

And I thought I was college king with my 18" Woofs 5 way Sansui's!

I think they just took one of their old PA speaker system designs, more or less untouched for these babies.

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Those look like night club speakers, and the crowd of college kids in the promotional picture drives the point home of who these speakers are aimed towards.

**edit**

Bleah. I just read the specs on their 'Top of the Line' model. They're boasting a frequency response (with no curve given) down to 24hz. While that may be good for Tower Speakers it's disapointing considering the dual 15" woofs.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Here's what looks like a press release about these "prosumer" speakers:

"CERWIN-VEGA LAUNCHES TRITON SPEAKER SERIES"

Article includes some prices too.

I like that name "Triton"--they should have kept it because "Classic" makes you think these speakers are some kind of retro design.

I think five of those 6.5" bookshelfs and the 12" sub would form a nice surround music system for normal sized rooms--and I'll bet no bass management would be needed! (I still don't think surround mixers are placing the same bass in the LFE channel and the main channels so phase problems shouldn't be a problem).

LJ

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
i would like to check them out, maybe 4 of the dual 15 towers with a couple of their 15" subs, for loud music and rock and roll they are hard to beat, for the old people that listen to opera then look some where else:D

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Cerwin-Vega is to speakers as.....

That's right kids!....McDonald's is to food.

Everyone is entitled to their own tastes, and that's cool with me. However, it's your title that bothers me. You're implying that men who prefer characteristics such as accuracy, realism, tonality, are wimpy, sissy, dull, weak, and feminine.

What if I said:

(insert high-end brand) speaker: manly-men with no tastes need not apply.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member

And the problem with this is........?

What is it about these speakers that offends so many people??? Cerwin is perfectly honest about who and what they intend their speakers for.

How many people here have ACTUALLY heard speakers like these set up properly, with good electronics, & with good source material? I have and it isn't the soul-wrenching experience so many make it out to be. Sure, it wasn't a shrinking-violet listening experience but it was fun while doing so.

And they reach down to "only" 24Hz? Most rock/pop music is mixed (i.e. EQ, compression, etc) with--at the most--mid-fi sound systems in mind, but most studio consumer playback "test rigs" consist of boomboxes and average quality car systems (this is also why so many rock/pop recordings sound like dog doo on high end systems). Any of these systems being capable of reproducing even 40Hz with any authority is very suspect. So it's not that common to have

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The website said to "roll mouse over model for a description".

I tried the cute redhead and nothing happened. :frowning:

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

I like those qualities, too (well, the first set you listed), but which do you think I'd rather have at a party for broadcasting Zep to the neighborhood: these, or my Spica TC-60's?. ;)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Having currently owned Cerwin Vega speakers I can be the first to say that I think they will sound like the ones I have now.... BAD

I bought them at a point where I wanted new speakers the price was right back then. They have held up until now and now that I'm listening to alot of other speakers I'm hearing the deficiencies of Cerwin Vegas. Cerwin has released a few models since I bought my Velocity Series and they all sound roughly the same.

Trust me I've heard many of other speakers out there that produce the same type of music only more realistically to me.

I'm not saying this to frown upon a new Cerwin Vega line but as a current owner who is displeased with their line in general. I'm moving on soon to something better.

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
Prices, copied from a CES report:

CLSC-6 Bookshelf – MAP $99.00
CLSC-6C Center Channel – MAP $169.00
CLSC-10 Tower – MAP $269.00
CLSC-12 Tower – MAP $299.00
CLSC-15 Tower – MAP $379.00
CLSC- 215 Tower – MAP $499.00
CLSC-12S Sub – MAP $349.00
CLSC-15S Sub MAP $429.00

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Shane: can you elaborate on what you mean by "bad"? Do voices sound hollow? Bass is sloppy? Do cymbals sound dull or distorted? What sound level does the bad stuff occur at?

I'm not putting Cerwin's speakers on the same level as KEF or Dynaudio but making such a vague statement is kind of confusing.

That particular visual design is quite common--go to a pro audio shop like Guitar Center and you'll see what I mean. Personally I think it looks pretty cool but do understand that if you own Colonial-styled furniture purchased at Ethan Allen these would cause a decor (or wife) problem. But I think that's why Cerwin provided that light cherry veneer as an option to soften their visual impact. You have to admit that one of these on each side of a widesceen RPTV would closely resemble what an actual public theater uses, but now you get to see what's actually producing the sound--neat! Nothing like seeing a set of drivers glaring out from behind their horns to cause a sense of anticipation even before "play" is pushed. :emoji_thumbsup:

BTW: plastic is used in some unexpected places now, woofer frames(!) for one thing. Unless they stopped using them recently, several Klipsch models use them. And Audax, a respected name in driver manufacturing, uses them too.

LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks