What's new

Cerwin Vega!! (1 Viewer)

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Just wondering what everyone thinks of Cerwin Vega speakers. I simply think they sound wonderfull and are very, very loud. It could be that I am just a kid and don't know what real speakers are.

Well just post your opinions.

Thanks

Jamie

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
Forgot one thing. I own a pair of the LS-12's and they really rock!! I also have the LS-6C for my center channel and the LS-6's for my rears. No sub because I would pretty much blow myself out of my little room!!

DanaA

Screenwriter
I'm not a particular fan of Cerwin Vegas, but I feel that, if they rock your boat, that's what you should get. It's obvious you like a loud speaker that pumps out sound and I was once your age, so I can remember being of the same mind set. Try out some other speakers, but you have to go with what you like.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Cerwin Vegas don't get much respect in the home theater or audiophile communities because they don't really have the refined, natural sound that most here are looking for. Compare them to a nice set of B&Ws, Def Tech, Paradigm, PSB, etc. and you will probably notice that they push the bass frequencies and sound "muddy" in comparison. While that's great for a house party where shaking the room is a priority, it isn't the best for natural reproduction of the artists/directors intent.
There is nothing wrong with owning them (or being a kid) though. In fact, I was very close to buying some CVs a few years ago based mostly on the recommendations of friends who are into car audio. My speaker epiphany was when I heard a set of B&Ws at a local high-end audio shop and found out what crisp highs and tight lows were all about.
A word of warning; when you experience the difference the upgrade bug may strike. :)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I always found the older CV's were just great for handling lots of power, and really thumping, and it probably still holds true today. I would say everyones advice so far is accurate, and they may not be quite as refined sounding as some of the specialty brands.

But I don't think you'll have to worry about blowing them, CV's are practically indestructable.

If they sound clean, and you like the overall sound of them, go for it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
When I first started to come into my own in this hobby, I had a nice big pair of CV's, they had these two huge 12" drivers in them, and at the time, I thought "This is it, i've got the greatest speakers on earth!". But as time went on, i've gotton more refined, and started to see that these speakers were way too much for the HT evironment. Now I prefer speakers that are more subtle, and produce a more natural soundfield.
Heck, I don't need those two huge woofers anymore, that's what my sub is for. I don't know how old you are, but if you stick with this hobby, and frequent this forum regularly, you'll probably come to prefer quality over quantity too.:)

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
I would have probably bought more expensive speakers but that was my budget and I thoguht they sounded good. When I get older I know I will buy some real nice Speakers.

Gruson

Second Unit
I used to use CVs for my mains and then I switched to Paradigm. BIG difference and worth the extra money.
I still use the CVs as my EX channel but will be replacing them soon.
They are ok speakers but nothing compared to top of the line speakers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks