Cerwin Vega Vega124 Auto Sub as Home Theater Sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robin D, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Robin D

Robin D Auditioning

I have a Cerwin Vega Vega124 just sitting here, waiting for a home. I was thinking with it's power handling, it would be awesome as my home theater sub. However, I've read a few posts that naysay such things for various reasons. Either the sub hasn't got the right T/S parameters, or it was just designed for an ultra-small listening area(such as a car, perhaps!). I was wondering if maybe this driver in particular was versatile enough to be used in both home and auto applications. Here are the specs:

FS: 26Hz
    Qms: 4.31
    Vas: 2.85 cu.ft
    Xmax: .75in
    Sd: 83.48 sq.in
    Qes: .358
    Re: 3.3 ohms
    Z: 4 ohms
    Pe: 400
    Qts: .33
    1-W SPL: 94 dB
    2.83-V SPL: 96

I could use a box 20"h x 16"w x 14"d with a 2" port 4" long. An f3 of 35Hz is respectable, isn't it?

[​IMG]

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Robin,
    35Hz isn't great for home theater, particularly in vented configuration (24db/octave rolloff). And a 2.5 cuft box with a 2" port is going to give you nasty (read: noisy) vent velocity. Note that if you increase VB and lower the tuning, you can get F3 down to about 20 (if you can live with some ripple). You're still going to need a very long port if you go with a reasonable diameter (6 in). Could work, though. The 19.05mm xmax is impressive - if it's real.

3. If I had this driver and wanted to TRY to see if it would work for HT, I would use a 90-100L box tunned to 20hz with about a 21" FLARED port (subtract 1" for non flared)

you might be happy with it, you might not. IMO, this is your best shot.

While the modeling doesn't look that bad, I say TRY because car driver specs TEND to have much poorer tolerance than HT drivers specs

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

If you did want to try a 35Hz Fb with this thing, you'd definitely want some sort of infrasonic filter with it. Playing "Lord of The Rings" (etc.) anywhere near loud would rip it apart rather quickly with all the really deep signals present.

5. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Those parameters look pretty good for HT use. Though I wonder if the Xmax spec is peak-to-peak, or perhaps its Xsus. I'd try to tune down in the mid-twenties with a rolloff similar to the one you posted. A four inch flared port would probably be fine even if you really do get 0.75in one-way linear excursion.

6. Erik M

Erik M Auditioning

I did a DIY sub with the 15" version of your sub and have been very happy with the results. My sub has the VEGA154 in a 3.5 Cu/ft box ported at 20hz and am very happy with the results. One nice thing about your sub and most Car subs in general is the low Vas allowing you to use a small enclosure. Also that series has a much higher sesitivity (at 94db!) than most subs allowing you to get alot of volume from your amp. I would take The advice of others here and use a larger, longer, port for a lower tuning frequency and reduced noise. I say buy a $120 Parts Express 300-794 250 Watt amp, build a box, and build a DIY sub for under $200 total. You should have a great sub that will easily outperform the retail stuff.

- Erik

7. Robin D

Robin D Auditioning

Yeah, that would be some loud vent noise come to think about it, and I just happen to have a 4" port laying around here. Do they make 4" PVC so that I can extend it a little? I guess I just need to go down to the depot and find out...