Cerwin Vega V12S subwoofer opinion

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BarbaraN, May 8, 2004.

1. BarbaraN

BarbaraN Extra

Aug 10, 2002
    I recently bought a pair of Polk R20 to go with my old Technics receiver. However, just picked up a bargain Panasonic XR25 receiver at Sears to replace the Technics. Also have an old center Bose. Would like to add a subwoofer. This one is currently on clearance at Sears for half of the original price (about $140 now). Any one know anything about the Cerwin Vega? Would it be workable with the Polks?

Thanks in advance.
  2. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

Feb 13, 2003
    I have a 12" powered Cerwin-Vega sub, although it is a different model because it is at least 8 years old. I am not sure if there are any performance differences or not. I looked up the V12S online and the specs all seem the same as mine, but the sub enclosure looks smaller. Anyway, I like the sub, especially for the price you're getting. I don't know anything about Polks, so I don't know how well the sub will fit with them. Is there any way you can listen to the sub before you bring it home.

One thing to consider too, how's the warranty? I've had this sub and have had zero problems with it for 8 years. (Although I upgraded to SVS so I haven't used it for the past year, save for a couple of days while I upgraded a second time last weekend.) A buddy of mine bought the V10S and it only lasted a couple of months and it stopped working. His warranty was still good, although he procrastinated a little too long.[​IMG] I think one of the capacitors went bad. Btw, I liked the way his sub sounded in his apartment, and that is very similar to the one you're looking at.

After all of that, I think that for the price, it should be worth a shot.
  3. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Apr 11, 2004
    Mods please delete this, I posted here by accident, thanks.