Cerwin-Vega Speakers question and future upgrade path

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Florian, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Howdy,
    As another newbie HT person (is this site the best for us or what?!) I am looking at starting ground level, but have little to compare to when planning future purchases. We are talking serious budgetting here. I already have the DVD (A Toshiba SD-2109 and it is great) and a "Dolby Digital" Pro-Logic Surround Sound receiver. I know it isn't 5.1, but it does have rear speaker action and a spot for a sub and Center speaker...is this 4.1?? [​IMG] I have to rear speakers that have no name...they come from my father-in-law's old stereo...and they serve okay. The front speakers were purchased for me as a gift with a previous receiver and CD changer and they are Cerwin-Vega Re 20's. They sound sweet, but then, I don't have any local HT folk to compare. Should I build from this? My thoughts are this: Should I just keep these two largish (compared to bookshelf) speakers as front and focus on replacing/purchasing the rears, center and sub? I also thought of selling those fronts and getting what is looking like the "Best bang for the buck" recommendation of the JBL NSP 1 sets and throw down for the sub later. I am looking at an upgrade a year (family, house, kid, and job in social work...you know). The last thing I will buy, if this makes sense, is a new receiver...it doesn't make sense to do that until there are speakers to fit it and for now, nice sounding surround would be hip.
    Ideas?
    Thanks for the best user supported site on these issues.
    Ciao,
    Phil

2. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Keep the Re-20 speakers, they are great.

3. Joe R

Joe R Auditioning

Phil, First of all go buy a DD-DTS reciever you dont know what your missing.My speakers where all purchased pre-DD.Center-Advent,mains-Cerwin Vega,and rears-Pioneer.My Vegas have 10 inch woofers on them and the bass sounds pretty good.No problems with any of my speakers playing either DD or DTS movies.Considering this isnt the set up I would like it sounds great to me.Going from Pro-Logic to DD and DTS is like night and day.