What's new

Cerwin Vega LW-12 (2 Viewers)

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a Cerwin Vega LW-12 subwoofer and am having trouble configuring it. It has an a volume knob and a knob for frequency range between 40Hz and 120Hz. How does the Frequency knob work?

Also on my Sony DTS/Dolby Digital receiver how do I configure the LFE? Is negative LFE more bass or less bass?

I am new to all of this 5.1 stuff but I am learning. My manuals though don't seem to explain these things to me.

I tried Halo and DOA3 on the Xbox with the subwoofer and I hardly heard a thing at all in the sub but I am not sure if it was my config or if the games doesn't support a sub but they seem to support it because my receiver auto detects the LFE from the game. How was that for a runon sentence?

Thank you all for your help in answering these questions.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
OK -

If you are using the line level input to the sub (RCA), make sure all speakers are set to 'small'. Trust me.

Keep the crossover knob on the sub all the way UP, highest setting. This will allow the Sony to do the filtering. If you are using speaker wire into the sub, you are better off to use speaker wire out, too, to the front 2 speakers. This isn't the most recommended method, but I don't know what you have going. If this is the case, set the front main speakers to LARGE, sub to 'OFF' or 'NO' if there's no RCA from the receiver to the sub. In this setup you use the crossover knob on the sub to cut out the bass in the front speakers and keep it in the sub. This takes time, tweaking it so that the front speakers blend well with the sub. I start with the crossover all the way down, 50 or whatever, and the volume up so that I can hear something. Bringing up the crossover bit by bit while blending the volume on the sub to make it sound right, you should finish up around 80hz or so....

LFE is a function of a digital 5.1 feed. Negative = less, but be aware that 'LFE' is it's own channel, while 'bass' exists everywhere and is blended to the sub depending on the setup of the spaekers.

- Good luck!

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for the quick response. I guess that I should have mentioned that I am using an RCA cable. Also which setting is all the way up for the crossover knob? Would that be 120hz?

How do I set up the LFE? The LFE will only go to the sub correct? Is it okay to place the sub in a corner between the couch and wall?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
120 is probably all the way up, but just max the knob clockwise.

Keep the LFE at 0, and there should be a seperate "Sub Level" or something....

The LFE is the bass effects in Dolby Digital and any other X.1 format, and operates seperately from the bass in all other respects. It can be kept a zero, which is the way the sound engineers mixed it to match the other channels. If you go to -1 or -2, you will 'quiet' the booming effects to suit your taste, but it is only for digital movies in X.1 format. (Some systems are 7.1, some 6.1, some 5.1, hence the 'X')

The sub level, on the other hand, is the OVERALL sub signal level. The best way to set this is to-

1) Determine the range of adjustment (-10 to +10 or whatever)

2) make the receiver's adjustment 1/4 up (-5)

3) Use the volume control on the SUB to bring it into harmony with all other channels. There are many ways to do this, the best is with a SPL meter and a test disc. Or, you can listen to music you know and bring up the volume on the sub until it blends. Tweak it from there as you listen to different things.

After that, the sub can be fine tuned with the Sub level, not LFE. LFE trim is only if you feel the LFE effects in a movie is overpowering.

All of this is pretty staandard operating procedure, but your own tastes should not be overlooked in the final setup.

I just know that I have never used LFE adjustment, it's always at zero. I had a Sony STR-DE915, now a H/K AVR110.

NHT Ones, Zeros, SV 20-39 sub.

Good Luck -

- CM

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I have another question.

In the manual for my woofer it says that if the volume isn't loud enough that you can use an RCA splitter to send a signal into both the left and right line in jacks. I just purchased a monster RCA Y cable and thought about trying it when I got home. Should I need it?

Thanks.

George

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
The L/R RCA input 'sums' the signals. If one or the other is used, it won't matter, it amplifies it. If both are used, you get a free 6 db boost in signal since now the input has doubled. You wind up turning down the sub's amp's volume control to compensate, and wind up where you started.

If the amp's volume is turned down too low as a result, it is possible that distortion will increase. Most amps, I believe, work better when they 'stretch their legs' a bit, with the vol. control up a bit.

- Good Luck

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. I will return the cable then. I will try tuning the woofer when I get home. I just need to find a DVD that I have that has good bass to test it with.

Hello Colin & George, I purchased a CW sub and I was wondering what would you use the "Line Out". I am still green at this and it is my first sub so I what to ask first instead of trying something that could do damage.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Line out, as in out of the sub?

RCA jacks like that may or may not have the bass filtered out of them. This would be in line after the pre-amp, but before the power amp, so the power amp only sees the mids and highs.

- CM

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
You must be proud of yourself.

I listened to a Velodyne at CC and it sounded boomy and cheap.

I bought an SV instead.

Don't post unless it's constructive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks