Cerwin Vega HED series any good for home use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

I can't buy an Adire driver over the internet unless I want to pay around 60% more due to taxes and shipping. Im searching for an inexpensive yet good driver to begin a DIY proyect and I found the HED12 for about 85 bucks, I know it is not a Shiva, but I managed to get this specs. Are they any good for home use? Thanks!

sensitivity ( [email protected] ) 88
    Power Handling RMS 150 Watts
    Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
    Voice Coil dia. 1 1/2½
    Mounting dia. 228mm
    Mountind depth 118mm
    Spkr.Displacement 1.30 liters
    Fs 24 Hz
    qts 0.617
    qms 13.600
    qes 0.646
    vas 80.61 liters
    Xmax +/- 12.0 mm
    Revc 3.6 ohms

voice coil diameter : 2½
    speaker displacement : 1.98 liters

FS: 22 Hz
    Qts : 0.355
    Qms : 12.880
    qes : 0.365
    Vas : 176.22 liters
    Xmax 17 mm
    Revc 3.6 ohms

That's all I found, hope is enough.

2. Heath_R

Heath_R Stunt Coordinator

Check out the DVC 12 from parts express, it should be close to a shiva.

3. Manuel Delaflor

Thanks, but it would be exactly the same, I would have to pay 60% more of the value [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What about the parameters of the drivers I can get at a fair price?

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Qts on the 10 inch is a little too high for my preference but the 12 inch looks very nice. Especially if that's 17mm Xmax in each direction. That's more excursion than either the Shiva or DVC. Looks like it might require a slightly larger box than the Shiva but I only say that because of the higher Vas.

5. Manuel Delaflor

Thanks Ryan

What does the "low Qts" means? and I don't know about the 17mm Xmax, I would guess it is in just one direction, otherwise, this driver is really a contender, right?

6. Ryan Schnacke

Q, called the Quality factor (or something like that), is a measure of how damped a system is. Qms describes the mechanical damping of a speaker. Qes describes the electrical damping of a speaker. Qts describes the total damping of a speaker and is calculated from the Qms and Qes values as follows:

Qts = (Qms * Qes)/(Qms + Qes)

Now if you put a speaker in a box the Q of the system will be different than the Q of the speaker alone. For a closed box, the system Q is called Qtc. And Qtc will always be higher than Qts. Qtc will determine the subwoofer's rolloff characteristics on the low end. There are two points of reference here:

Qtc = 0.707 provides a maximally flat frequency response
    Qtc = 0.577 provides minimal group delay

So usually we tend to aim for Qtc somewhere between these two points. But if Qts of the speaker is already 0.617 and Qtc is always larger than Qts then there's no way to get Qtc = 0.577 and its probably going to take a big, big box to get 0.707

The majority of drivers recommended by HTF DIY guys have Qts somewhere between 0.3 and 0.5 and I'm thinking 0.4 is just about right for most applications but I'm a beginner. And there are applications like Infinite Baffles and Linkwitz Transforms that have very different requirements.

7. Ryan Schnacke

And yes, 17mm in each direction (34mm peak-to-peak) is a very decent amount of excursion. 17mm peak-to-peak (8.5mm in each direction) is okay but not exactly impressive.

8. Manuel Delaflor

Ryan,
    Thanks a lot. For what I understand, this drive may be comparable to a shiva! That would be EXCELLENT for me due to the fact that I can buy it, right now, for around 85 bucks! A shiva, on the other hand, would cost me around 200 and will take perhaps a week or two to arrive [​IMG]
    I just need to be sure that I will be fine with this sub compared to a Shiva, a Titan or comparable drivers. [​IMG]

9. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Man, am I late for this thread.

Manuel, if you ever see this, I *know* where you saw that driver, and I *thought* exactly the same thing you did. You saw it in Plaza Santa Fé for 85 USD and thought "Man, this would make a killer sub!". But then you went all out and bought a Tempest.

I was searching for info on that exact driver, and I saw your thread.

Guess what. I bought a Tempest, and tomorrow I'm buying the Cerwin Vega!!!

LOL. Life can be funny sometimes.

Javier.

10. Dave Crigna

Dave Crigna Stunt Coordinator

Hate to disappoint but those figures cerwin vega gives are a little misleading. The xmax they give for there driver is the max excursion the driver is cabable of one way, not the linear xmax. Both the dayton and the adire driver xmax given are linear numbers and imho are superior drivers. Vega makes some good drivers at a decent price, but they would not be my first choice.