What's new

Cerwin Vega HED series any good for home use? (1 Viewer)

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
I can't buy an Adire driver over the internet unless I want to pay around 60% more due to taxes and shipping. Im searching for an inexpensive yet good driver to begin a DIY proyect and I found the HED12 for about 85 bucks, I know it is not a Shiva, but I managed to get this specs. Are they any good for home use? Thanks!

sensitivity ( 2.8V@1m ) 88
Power Handling RMS 150 Watts
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Voice Coil dia. 1 1/2½
Mounting dia. 228mm
Mountind depth 118mm
Spkr.Displacement 1.30 liters
Fs 24 Hz
qts 0.617
qms 13.600
qes 0.646
vas 80.61 liters
Xmax +/- 12.0 mm
Revc 3.6 ohms

voice coil diameter : 2½
speaker displacement : 1.98 liters

FS: 22 Hz
Qts : 0.355
Qms : 12.880
qes : 0.365
Vas : 176.22 liters
Xmax 17 mm
Revc 3.6 ohms

That's all I found, hope is enough.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Thanks, but it would be exactly the same, I would have to pay 60% more of the value :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
What about the parameters of the drivers I can get at a fair price?

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Qts on the 10 inch is a little too high for my preference but the 12 inch looks very nice. Especially if that's 17mm Xmax in each direction. That's more excursion than either the Shiva or DVC. Looks like it might require a slightly larger box than the Shiva but I only say that because of the higher Vas.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Thanks Ryan

What does the "low Qts" means? and I don't know about the 17mm Xmax, I would guess it is in just one direction, otherwise, this driver is really a contender, right?

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Q, called the Quality factor (or something like that), is a measure of how damped a system is. Qms describes the mechanical damping of a speaker. Qes describes the electrical damping of a speaker. Qts describes the total damping of a speaker and is calculated from the Qms and Qes values as follows:

Qts = (Qms * Qes)/(Qms + Qes)

Now if you put a speaker in a box the Q of the system will be different than the Q of the speaker alone. For a closed box, the system Q is called Qtc. And Qtc will always be higher than Qts. Qtc will determine the subwoofer's rolloff characteristics on the low end. There are two points of reference here:

Qtc = 0.707 provides a maximally flat frequency response
Qtc = 0.577 provides minimal group delay

So usually we tend to aim for Qtc somewhere between these two points. But if Qts of the speaker is already 0.617 and Qtc is always larger than Qts then there's no way to get Qtc = 0.577 and its probably going to take a big, big box to get 0.707

The majority of drivers recommended by HTF DIY guys have Qts somewhere between 0.3 and 0.5 and I'm thinking 0.4 is just about right for most applications but I'm a beginner. And there are applications like Infinite Baffles and Linkwitz Transforms that have very different requirements.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
And yes, 17mm in each direction (34mm peak-to-peak) is a very decent amount of excursion. 17mm peak-to-peak (8.5mm in each direction) is okay but not exactly impressive.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Ryan,
Thanks a lot. For what I understand, this drive may be comparable to a shiva! That would be EXCELLENT for me due to the fact that I can buy it, right now, for around 85 bucks! A shiva, on the other hand, would cost me around 200 and will take perhaps a week or two to arrive :frowning:
I just need to be sure that I will be fine with this sub compared to a Shiva, a Titan or comparable drivers. :D

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Man, am I late for this thread.

Manuel, if you ever see this, I *know* where you saw that driver, and I *thought* exactly the same thing you did. You saw it in Plaza Santa Fé for 85 USD and thought "Man, this would make a killer sub!". But then you went all out and bought a Tempest.

I was searching for info on that exact driver, and I saw your thread.

Guess what. I bought a Tempest, and tomorrow I'm buying the Cerwin Vega!!!

LOL. Life can be funny sometimes.

Javier.

Dave Crigna

Stunt Coordinator
Hate to disappoint but those figures cerwin vega gives are a little misleading. The xmax they give for there driver is the max excursion the driver is cabable of one way, not the linear xmax. Both the dayton and the adire driver xmax given are linear numbers and imho are superior drivers. Vega makes some good drivers at a decent price, but they would not be my first choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks