1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cerwin-Vega! E-315 speakers, finally got them: Impedance question.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dimme, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Dimme

Dimme Extra

Hello

So I got the Cerwin-Vega E-315 speakers and when listening to them in my own environment at home, I can now understand why many hate them or dislike the sound. It's dry and some of the midrange and treble is missing and the sensitivity of the woofer is a bit too high. In comparison to my Jamo speakers (2way 8" driver), they don't sound quite as good and don't have a realistic feel to them.
    I didn't say I disliked them, lots of things can be done with the little help of an equalizer :p)

One thing I've noticed though is that it says on the back that the speakers have an 8ohm impedance, but when measuring the impedance with a multimeter, the multimeter reads a 4ohm impedance. I measured some other 8ohm speakers I have around and the multimeter reads 8ohms. Now what is this?

Should I be happy or should I cry? I mean 4ohm is a higher load on the amplifier right? What will I benefit from it being 4ohm instead of 8?
    And why does it say 8ohm on the back when it's only 4 anyway?

I'd appreciate your input about this [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

without seeing the impedance curves it's not possible to make a comment one way or another. The way a manufacturer rates the impedance of a speaker varies. Consider the following link.

Just curious, why did you move from the Jamo to the CV's? As far as equalizing the CV's deficiencies, you're very optimistic but even if you were successful, why deal with a speaker that has such issues? CV's, from my recollection don't have much low bass response and would probably benefit from a sub.

3. Dimme

Dimme Extra

Well I'm currently running a 2ch stereo Marantz amplifier, that's pretty powerful. I had a pair of Gamma speakers (home made, computer calculated box etc) with 12" woofers that I had as front speakers.
    I used a separate amplifier to power the Jamos as bookshelf speakers (pretty big ones though, 1.5" tweeter/high midrange, 8" woofer/low midrange, crossover freq 4500Hz).

I wanted to swap those old Gamma speakers that worked very well for many mnay years and get a pair of good ones and since my budget didn't allow for a pair of front speakers + subwoofer. I went the Cerwin-Vega! route. I listened to many different alternatives though like Dali (->too much hiss in the tweeter and blowing noises from the bass-reflex hole), Audio-Pro (->too hissy tweeter, not enough bass) and Canton (-> way over budget).

When I got the CVs, my dad asked for the pair of Jamo speakers to hook up to his old amp and his TV, and since they weren't exactly mine, they were his, I gave them to him.

As far as low bass goes, these CVs have plenty of low bass that at a normal listening level rattles some doors and shakes picture frames on the walls, and when cranking up the volume a bit, the sound may not reach other levels of the house, but it sure rattles doors and makes pictures fall down from walls.

I'm hoping to get a pair of bookshelf speakers that can color the sound a bit in that frequency range the CVs lack (thinking B&W in approx $300 range) and a centre speaker. I can get the centre speaker for the CVs, the CV E-D6C for about $55.

As far as measuring the Impedance goes, I measured 4 ohm when the speaker was disconnected from the amplifier.

4. Dimme

Dimme Extra

This is the reply I got from Cerwin-Vega! themselves regarding the Impedance

"Hello,

An impedance measurement taken at the input terminals of the speakers is a DCR reading (direct current resistance). This is generally lower that the operating impedance when program is applied. Usually 8 ohms speakers will read in the 5-6 ohm range when reading the DCR. When music is played the impedance rises to an average operating impedance.

The E-315s may sometimes function below 8 ohms (in the 6-7 ohms range) depending on the frequencies of the music being played. They are closer to 8 ohms than 4 ohms, so we opted to classify them as 8 ohm speakers."

Hmm, well why do my other 8 ohm speakers give a true 8 ohm reading on the multimeter when reading the DCR?

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

That's a static measurement. Your speaker contains the drivers and the crossover elements. Depending upon the frequency of the signal, the impedance of the speaker as a whole will vary. The link I gave above illustrates that.