"Century City" - did network air episodes out of order in attempt to boost ratings?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Gary Cliff, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Gary Cliff

Gary Cliff Stunt Coordinator

I have been watching this series on the "Space" network (in Canada), and I noticed some details from episode to episode that suggested the episodes are not being shown in the intended order. I checked with epguides.com, and sure enough, the episode numbers and production numbers match only for the first and last episodes of this 9-episode series; the 7 inbetween appear to be scrambled randomly. Is there some story behind this? Perhaps after the airing of the pilot, the rating were so poor that the network pulled up what they thought would be the strongest remaining episode (the one slated to go in week 6) and aired it in hopes of a boost in the ratings?

2. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

bingo. Got it in one. The series did have come continuing lines and airing it out of order really messed it up.

(and it looks a heckuva lot better in Widescreen on UniversalHD)

3. LizH

LizH Second Unit

Looks like CBS took a page from FOX. [​IMG]

They pulled the same crap with "Firefly". [​IMG]

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, to say it "really messed it up" is disingenuous. Yes, there were some small recurring storylines, but in terms of confusing the audience, you'd cause about the same amount of trouble playing Law & Order: Special Victims Unit out of order. When a show is shedding many viewers by Episode 2, playing episodes out of order isn't a large factor.

And I say that as someone who loved Century City. The show just wasn't going to connect with a large audience.

5. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    Well this is pretty standard with most shows.

That doesn't explain why Space would be airing it out of order, though.

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

I didn't know there were that many episodes made. Did they all air on CBS?

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

No, CBS showed 3 or 4 here on the East Coast (and possibly one more on the West Coast after a live event/news coverage).

8. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

That's about what I thought. With all the law shows on the air, too bad they couldn't at least let this one run for all the episodes that were made.

Any chance of DVDs for this one?

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Universal hasn't done much with truncated-run series, I don't think. They never got around to releasing the Ed O'Neill Dragnet which had been announced at one point.

Personally, I'm kind of shocked that this hasn't shown up on the Sci-Fi channel yet. NBC/Universal owns it, after all, and it could be good Friday-night filler between half-seasons of Galactica and Stargate like Strange World was.