Centre speaker as rear surround?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Smith, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

I recently upgraded my system from a Pioneer 5.1 receiver, to a Marantz 6.1 receiver. As i already had my speakers in place for the 5.1 system I needed only one more speaker for my rear surround. As you know buying a single speaker is somewhat difficult, and I let the sales rep talk me into a centre speaker. Then I started to think (I don't know very much about speakers) am I missing out? Whats the difference between a centre speaker and a rear surround anyways? The centre was relatively inexpensive, but I am just wondering?

2. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

As long as the center he sold you was from the same series of speakers and are sonicaly similar to the ones you already own, you should not have a problem.

3. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

The Centre might even be better, since it is wider and has the two mid/bass drivers as opposed to one. I'd think it would do a slightly better job of "filling in" the rear space. At least that's what I tell myself - I have the same setup as you with my 6200 [​IMG]
    With regard to the limited bass capability of centre speakers, the rears are normally set to "Small" anyway.