1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Central Iowa HD viewing

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Greg_Mitch, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Greg_Mitch

Greg_Mitch Agent

I can get these channels:

Fox -- although they only broadcast SD
    NBC -- best signal for me
    PBS -- their HDTV demo is amazing
    CBS -- HD programming seems to be few and far between

I am using the silver sensor indoor uhf antenna. I am unable to pull in ABC, which is channel 59 I think. All stations are in the same range I just dont know what the deal is with this station. I don't know any other people with HD so I was wondering if there is anyone else here from central Iowa who can confirm or help. Thanks.

PS please don't refer me to the antennaweb website. I am past that.

Thanks

2. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Where are you? If you're in or near DesMoines, I think you could do better. If you're in Ames, that's about what I'd expect. If you're somewhere else, I'm astonished you can receive HD at all.

I'm in Eastern Iowa, Cedar Rapids and all I can get digital OTA is CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and PAX. No PBS or WB to be found. And Fox is SD only. I'm at a fairly high elevation and using a $30 amplified antenna. I'm not out in the boonies or anything. I'd think that if I can't get these channels, probably less than half the city could, assuming they had the proper equipment.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Is the ABC station broadcasting at full power? That makes a lot of difference.

AVS Forum has a Local HDTV section. Each city/area has their own thread.

-Robert

4. Greg_Mitch

Greg_Mitch Agent

I am located in Ames. How do I check if the local ABC station is being broadcast full power? I was actually surprised to see the show on FOX where they switch the wives was actually in HD! Not like I watched it or anything...[​IMG]

5. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

CBS HD programming few and far between? Huh? Hearly the entire CBS prime time line up is in HD. Even "The Young and the Restless" is HD....

6. Greg_Mitch

Greg_Mitch Agent

Ok maybe I meant, "shows that I like to watch" are few are far between. Besides it seems that some CBS shows are not widescreen.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, CBS's reality TV shows (Survivor, The Amazing Race, Big Brother) are not HD (cost prohibitive), and perhaps their news-related shows (60 Minutes, 48 Hours). But most of the rest of their normal lineup in the fall will be in HDTV.

8. Greg_Mitch

Greg_Mitch Agent

I went to www.abc.com and looked up HDTV info. (which is what I should have done in the first place) and found out that the Des Moines ABC affiliate is not yet broadcasting in HD yet, so that would explain that. If only I had a super strong antenna to pull in the Cedar Rapids affiliate...I want Monday Night Football!

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

My reception on ABC can be a little iffy sometimes and I'm less than 5 miles away from the tower. It would take a hell of an antenna.