Center What?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Pomeroy, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

Or at least that's how my dad thinks...

We recently acquired some B&W 603s2, and a Nakamichi AV-10 and we are using our old kef 102/2s for our surrounds, but we decided to leave out a centre channel for now. Was that a big mistake? Right now we just turn off the centre channel option and have it divided up amongst the Fronts. Should we spend even more dough and get a centre, or will it sound just as nice as it does now?

(And it sounds QUITE nice)

Thanks,

Will

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I wouldn't worry too much. You say it sounds quite nice and some prefer to have no center channel, although most prefer to have it.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I personally like having a center for video, but never EVER use more than 2.1 channels for audio.

Many others like living without the ctr. like you currently do.

In my sys, I have inexpensive fronts, so adding the ctr didn't hurt too much. You, on the other hand, have a very nice pair to match up with, so $$$...

If you don't have a sub yet, get that first. Then be sure to calibrate, if you haven't.

The center would be lower on my list, but necessary nonetheless.

Good Luck!

4. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

In my system a center made all the difference for HT. My advise is to try one and see if you like it. See if your dealer would allow you a trial run at some centers.

5. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

If you have reasonable equipment, decent speaker placement, sit in the sweet spot, and would be forced to run the center in an affordable domestically acceptable location (like on top of the TV) even an identical center speaker won't sound like the mains and it will be a step backwards in quality.

With all of the above good points and a matching center (vertically oriented for MTMs) on a floor stand a few feet in front of the screen or with equalization behind a perforated screen but not too close to the wall, it won't sound different and will give a narrower center image than phantom center.

Off axis, it will anchor sounds to screen center but may still induce colorations even if it is an identical speaker but the position isn't identical (especially if it's on top of a one-piece television).

IOW, it could be better always, better off-axis, make no difference, or be worse. Always better may involve positioning that is not practical with direct view sets and/or is domestically impractical (I wasn't happy with how my center sounded until it stuck up like a smoke stack a few feet in front of the screen).

6. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

My personal opinion is that a center will "fill" your viewing area with missed sound.....oops....what format do you guys like to listen too.....some formats I believe would not matter. However if your like DDII or NEO 6 then it would be a hands down must [​IMG] .
    I think the B & W cdm series center would match nicely. I also agree with ColinB that you will want a sub, perhaps even first.[​IMG]
    Phil

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

And...here's a sub that a some HTFers seem to like, especially for the money. You have to put it together yourself, but I've heard it's not all that hard.
    Actually, I'll link you to the thread where I heard about it.
    Link:http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=78805

8. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

It seems like a center speaker would narrow the stereo separation between the left and right channels.

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    A center is a must for the true theater experience. THat is unless you watch movies alone and in the sweet spot only. Try sitting off axis from the TV without a center and you'll know why a center ch is so important.