What's new

Center to Match Studios (1 Viewer)

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
I may have jumped too fast in excitement and purchased a CC370 the other day - the last of two critical purchases for my HT before going "upgrade" (the other hole filled being my SVS PB2+ on order). The 370 sounds great, but I got to thinking after talk on this forum about matching timbre with mains I anticipate buying in the next year. Right now some Paradigm Studios 40/60/100's have my fancy - but like I said, they are likely a year away.

Does anyone have experience with the CC370, CC470, and CC570 enough to recommend a good pairing with upper end Studio mains? The guy in the shop liked and recommended the 370 over the 470 and 570 because of 1)price, and 2)flatness. He said the 470 and 570 give more bass (not so bad) but are a tad bright for his taste due to the better tweeter. There weren't any Studio centers out on the floor so I went on an impulse and trust and bought the 370, also knowing I could do an upgrade swap for only the difference in price of the new speakers if I did it inside 12 months (which is an awesome program if you ask me - a no risk trial and upgrade). Right now I'm in heaven having a center at all. I was using the TV audio hooked into my DVD players center pre-out - better than nothing but a tremendous pain the rear.

I'd like to do a center channel head-to-head with these three sometime as I should have - and I have plenty of time - but the more I know beforehand the better.

Thanks.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
If you are looking to get the 40/60/100's I would suggest the 570. The 470 would work with the 40's though. Take a listen to the different setups that you are considering and see what you like the best.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
470 or 570 are your only choices, as they are the only two centers in the Studio line. The 470 will probably be good enough, but if you went with 100s, the 570 would probably be a better choice.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I had a 370 and upgraded to a Studio-CC (v.2) when I moved my 20s to the theater. I don't know where this guy is coming up with the Studios being bright. The Studios are more laid back and natural, the Monitors are punchy. The only thing I can think of is that the demos in the store are not properly broken in. I have had my Studio-CC for about 2 months and it is getting better every day. At first I didn't notice much of a difference from the 370, but as it breaks in I am falling in love with it. The Studio speakers take a long time to break in (at least 50-100 hours), and continue to improve long after that.

The 370 is fine, but you will definatly want to upgrade to the 470 or 570 when the time comes.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to agree, the tweeters in the Studios are bright to me as well (v2 moreso than the v3s), but I have always been a big fan of soft dome tweeters too. The tweeters on the new Signatures sounded just a tad cleaner than the Studios, but the midrange was noticably more clear. WOW, the Signature center I saw was HUGE! I thought the 570 was big...

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not up on the Studio CC v2 and v3. Are they comparable to the 470 and 570? Couldn't find clarification on the Paradigm website.

Also, are most of the opinion that if I were to choose a Paradigm product for the center that I would be best off sticking with the Paradigm line for the mains? Is that the general safe norm - or is mixing lines for the up-front three common? I know its all in what you hear, but... just wondering. I've also looked into PSB and Definitive Technology lines. Of course, my luck is neither are stocked in stores anywhere nearby.

Thanks.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
No I believe there's only the Studio CC and the Studio v2 CC. When the v3s came out, they jumped back to their old numbering system and came out w/ the 470 and the 570 - where the 470 would match 60s and below and the 570 would match the 100.

JonathanOh

Agent
Paradigm's tech told me that the 470 is for the 20s and 40s, the 570 for 60s and 100s

If you have the space and money and are planning on the larger studios anyway, get the 570.

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
I went ahead and upgraded to the 470 - will pick up tonight, in fact. Rosewood, baby. Yeah.

The 570 looks like a sweet speaker, but I don't quite understand why they use the bass drivers as in the 100's as the main voice in the center channel, accentuated by the little driver and tweeter, and with different crossovers. Yes, I can picture a broader sound range ability, which may be better for music, but not necessarily in HT. I'd think the 470's drivers would be less muddy in dialogue than the 570's bass drivers. I know the 370 I have now seems muted slightly (nothing bright about it), so the 470's better tweeter should help in that department. I am really hoping for a difference in the high range. I want that tweeter tssst tsssst. But I'm a Treble +12 kind of guy, don't ask why. Time will tell on the 470/570 decision.

I'll have until next year (tax season) to consider if I want to upgrade again once more to the 570 when I also aim to be on the prowl for Studio 80's or 100's. Oh yeah.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
I liked the 570 a bit better than the 470 both in HT dialog and in MC music. I did not find either to be muddy though. Both very clear.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Of course, you could always just do what I did.....tell your pre/pro or receiver that you're very sorry, but at this time you will not be utilizing a center channel. Mine responded very kindly, notified my mains (studio/100 v.2's), and all has been well ever since :) Seriously, my decision to get rid of my center was, at the time, due to financial reasons. But oddly enough, now that I could easily put it back, I just don't wanna :) I don't see the point. The vocals are just as centered/anchored on/to the screen, they are just as clear, and I don't have to put a 50 lb box on top of my RPTV anymore. From what I understand, there are actually people who prefer their HT experience without the center channel anyway, so I don't feel entirely crazy for not putting the 5 back in 5.1. I like it this way, and I don't feel bad about it one bit :) Of course, assuming you stick with it, I think you'd do fine with just about anything from Paradigm.....I'll admit that they can pretty much do no wrong in my eyes - just like George Lucas (tee hee).

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I've got the 470 matched with my Studio 40/20 setup. Sound is awsome.

I've tried this and unless your sitting in the sweet spot it just doesn't sound right. Not to mention isn't the point of 5.1/6.1/7.1 to get as much seperation as possible to enhance our experience? So why would one what to make your fronts do more work than is needed. To each his own. If anyone is having problems with setting a speaker ontop of their HT, just get a pair of speaker stands and put it in front. This is what I did and it greatly improved the illusion that the sound was coming straight out of the TV.

Kevin

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
The studio/cc was a great little speaker....I was sad to see it go. But for whatever reason, in my HT set-up, I don't even notice it's gone. The 100s image very well and in this situation it just works, even if we're sitting to the side of the listening area. But I agree....to each his own.

I probably should have clarified that the "50 lb box on the RPTV" comment was referring somewhat to the ol' WAF. If I can have the same audio experience without having said box on top of the tv as I can with it there, then it's an easy decision to make. That just clears up an extra spot under the WAF allocation commitee guidelines for me to put something else (can you say, "another SVS??" ) But sure enough, putting the damn thing on the floor with a stand would have done a lot of damage to my cause, trust me.

As far as separation, being enveloped by the sound, having a seamless soundstage, etc., the gunfight scene in Open Range is more than enough to prove to myself that this set-up is plenty adequate in its current form. Speaking of which, that scene is a great demo for a HT system....and the picture quality is out of this world.

Long Live SVS :emoji_thumbsup:

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
The 470 is home, not broken in yet, but it is PURTY and I like the sound a lot better already. I hear Digms take a good 75 hours +/- to break in, but what I HEAR sounds fine to me.

If I had a better room configuration, size, better mains, etc., I might give a try to the no center thing. But right now the center acts as something of an anchor for good dispersion. It fills the holes the mains leave behind and really helps the overall effect on room sound when you walk in on 5 channel stereo. In fact, I often weight the center more than the others on some surround modes (I like to listen to my TV audio through Denon's Jazz setting, or Dolbly Pro Logic for stereo TV signal).

As for stands, the HT shop guys showed me a nice twin tube 18" stand they sell for those with home projectors. Good idea but not for everyone. I don't need one as I have a three shelf TV stand that will have the TV on top, the center next down, and the bottom a drawer. If I had my dream HD RP or Flat TV, well... one step at a time.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
My experience with Paradigm is that they sound better after 1 month of solid playback (being played at least 15 hours per day). By "sounding better" I mean, less bright and more natural. And it's not my ears adjusting, I had the speakers playing at home while I was at work. I'd come home and each day they sounded the same until week 3 and 4 ... then I was in Paradigm heaven :).

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
My speakers have well over 100 hours of playing time. In fact, they have been playing 24/7 since I got them over a month ago. I do not know, they do not sound any different. :confused: Still very happy with them, would not have gotten them if I did not like them. :D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've heard friend's v2s, which are over 2yrs old, and they still sound bright to me (bright room too), even paired up to a nice Marantz receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks