Center Surround, worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Hess, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Hi all! I'm currently debating on whether or not to purchase a rear center surround channel (another RC-3) for my HT setup (Klipsch RF3s, RS3s, RC3, KSW12, Outlaw 1050). Cost is not the issue, but I'm really curious as to whether or not the improvment in sound is really worth it.
    Yes, the search is broken atm.
    Thanks for any input you might have!
    [Edited last by Tim Hess on September 18, 2001 at 07:36 PM]

2. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

Yes!!!!!
    I jumped from PLogic to 6.1 and I am very glad that I skipped over 5.1. I had auditioned a number of 5.1 setups and was impressed, but not enough to drop the $ on what I wanted. I purchased a Newcastle R-956 from Ubid.com for what I thought was a steal, and I was right. 6.1 creates a more enveloping experience, and I am sure that others would agree.

3. Scott Gaffney

Yes, I have almost the same setup you have except an SVS sub instead. It is a big difference. Borrow a speaker if you don't have one, hookup a long piece of speaker wire, drape it across your floor and watch a movie with it. You'll be sold. The best demo of a center surround is SuperSpeedway.
    If you don't like it, you haven't wasted time running another length of wire, and you didn't buy another speaker you don't need.
    Good luck!
    sdg
    ------------------

4. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

I'm told a lot that I don't know what I'm missing out on till I've heard it. well you don't know what you're missing out on till you've heard it...
    I used to hear the argument that if you're just listening to music, you don't need 5 speakers and that all these speakers were only good for HT and even then sound isn't constantly coming from those extraneous speakers... but the face of music is changing... multichannel, neo 6, and 5.1/7.1 channel stereo has changed my my music listening experience forever...
    THX EX and DTS ES movies that rear channel really means the difference between sounds splitting around you and sounds moving OVER and THROUGH you.
    In fact I love my surround back channel so much that I've got two B&W DM302's back there instead of just one rear center channel and I've got the level set up about 8 notches just to get that extra effect in movies...
    When I listen to dts concert dvd's I swear the audience is all around me clapping and cheering.
    ------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
    JKB

5. derek

derek Second Unit

6. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

There was reccently a very interesting discussion on this board about this subject. It was about a month ago. Unfortunately it is not searchable due to high server load. Look for my name in the Hardware search when you can. My contributions to the thread in question were not very good (as usual [​IMG] ) but the rest of the thread was very informative.
    ------------------
    -JQJ
    [Edited last by James Q Jenkins on September 19, 2001 at 10:36 AM]

7. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

8. GregJ

GregJ Agent

I just got the new Marantz SR5200 which is 6.1. I have not tried the feature yet for 2 reasons, 1) I don't have a single speaker to place in the rear center. 2) I have french doors in the far end of the family room I turned into my home theater. Speaking of the first issue where do you buy 1 surround speaker (I have JBL speakers all around) and 1 speaker stand?
    Greg

9. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

JBL has some great speakers don't they. JBL has some very good center speakers and I would suggest either the S-center or even the N-center.
    I recently upgraded my receiver to add the center rear ( I am now 8.1) and found the additional sound in the rear very nice indeed. Like another post above, I too increase my rears to further enhance the surround effect and I also lower my front center (JBL S center) so I can kick up the volume for even more serious effect work.
    Which JBLs do you have?
    ------------------
    "I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

10. John H

John H Second Unit

11. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I forgot I had a very cheap Sony Center kicking around (from Stereo 'rack' package I picked up 7 years ago (my firt foray into HT!), I could notice difference, but the timbre was not matched obviously and you could really notice. I ordered another RC-3 on Monday, should have it next week!

12. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I forgot I had a very cheap Sony Center kicking around (from a stereo 'rack' package I picked up 7 years ago, my first foray into HT!), I could notice difference, but the timbre was not matched obviously and you could really notice. I ordered another RC-3 on Monday, should have it next week!

13. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

14. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

John,
    The RXV1 has 8 channels of amplification. I call that 8.1.......... regardless of es, ex or whatever.
    ------------------
    "I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

15. GregJ

GregJ Agent

Well Donnie that's an idea I hadn't thought of. Use a center channel speaker as the rear center. I have full range speakers in front (TLX181, older versions of the ND310) and rear (D38, like the N38) so I figured on adding another full range speaker as the rear center. The problem of the french doors still exists though. I've learned the hardest thing to overcome in life is a thing called "The wife exceptence threshold". It comes into play concerning home theater, cars, and motorcycles my main hobbies.
    Greg