What's new

Center Speakers (1 Viewer)

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
what are you using for your center speakers,
The main speakers I am using I really enjoy, but the center has really underwhelmed me. Sometimes it really sounds like a tin can. Ok not that bad, but it just hasnt done it for me. And I have tried different placements, etc.
I dont want to say what I am using just to hear what other people use and if they really like it.
I really am considering changing my main speakers just because I really do not like the center. I have been trying to like if for so long but you shouldnt have to force yourself to like a speaker

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using a JBL EC35 that goes great with my all-JBL setup. I previously had the BIC America DV62CLR center channel which is generally a highly rated center that only costs $99. The BIC sounded a bit bigger than the JBL (it had bigger drivers) but the JBL definitely sounds more detailed and crisp. Both sound good IMO.

brad cook

GregBe

Second Unit
Hi Chris,

You need to get a center you are happy with. If you are feeling this way now, it will always stay with you and you won't be able to enjoy your theater. The center channel is so much more than dialogue. Basically anything happening center screen will come through your center. In my opinion, a good center and sub are more important than your mains for movies (assuming your mains timbre match your center).

I say upgrade your center, and if you can't do it within your current product line, upgrade your mains as well.

Good luck
Greg

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Rocket RSC200 center. Simply fantastic! Matches my RS550s perfectly in looks and sound. :D

Rather than buy a new center, try calibrating it first. Even after you do that you may want to bump it up a few dbs to get the level to your liking.

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using an Ascend Acoustics CMT-340C. At first, it seemed that my center did not match in sound to my CMT-340 mains. I had to increase the amount of downward angle of my center, and it sounded perfect.

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
Centers Id like to use.
Aerial CC3 or better yet CC5
Revel voice
Some of the older Von Schweikert centers

Centers that I have used that are excellant:
NHT AC-2
NHT M-5

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
I have tried adjusting levels and angles nothing really seemed to improve it
I can really hear all the sounds coming from a small box
I have even moved the whole entertainment and tv area but that did no good
Its not that its terrible, but the soundstage just isnt there at all, compared to the mains its a huge difference
they seem to disappear but the center sounds boxy

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Kef Model 200 Reference centre. Incredible imaging and width. Superb midrange, not hollow like some other centres.Fantastic. :-D

Also owned B&W CC6- pretty dire. And Kef Q95, that was pretty awful too.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I replaced my Paradigms with Swans and the Swan C3 center really has shown me what I've been missing! It sounds so much more realistic and bigger than the CC-370 I had. The 370 is no slouch by any means but the Swan is just on another level. Even better that they are pretty much the same price!

Chuck_W

Second Unit
I was unhappy with my center and replaced it with a bookshelf speaker from the same line as my other speakers - works great.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I also use a bookshelf speaker from the same line as my fronts (it is exactly the same speaker I use for my rear speakers). Works great.

Another option is that if you love your fronts, get one more and use it as your center.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks